• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer targets in the summer

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Am I right that Tisdale said in his post match interview on Saturday that there will be "no more compromise" re signings we make this summer?

So, it sounds like he intends to strengthen. Who do you expect him to go for and who would you realistically like us to go for?

For me:

I expect we'll be linked with i.e. they've played for us before:

Troy Archibald-Henville - Knees gone, no thanks
Richard Duffy - Would love to see him back here.
Matt Taylor - I hear he's not the same player nowadays, unsure
Ryan Taylor - He's done ok at Pompey this season and has scored a few too. I expect he's unrealistic, but I know Tisdale likes him
Jake Taylor - Think he was loaned out to Orient this season after impressing at Reading last season. Would like him back but he should be L1 standard at least
Lee Holmes - Rumour has it he's been offered a deal and he would be a fantastic signing

Players I'd like us to have a look at

Padraig Amond - Striker who seems to score a fair amount of goals at this level. Good age too.
Jonathan Smith/ Pelly Ruddock - Both defensive midfielders at Luton.
Scott Flinders - Great 'keeper. If Wycombe don't go up and he's out of contract?
Scott Doe - CB who is still at Dagenham I believe. Just the sort of decent centre half we need.

Thoughts?

milts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32481977

Would be what we need at the back.

Terryhall

I remember being very impressed by Jack Whatmough from Pompey - he's only 18 and according to Wiki he's contracted til 2017, but he's just the kind of player I'd like to see us sign at the back - seems very composed and level headed, decent turn of pace, and seemed good in the air too. Also seems to have been capped at u-18 and u-19 for England - but that will also mean he's hard to tempt away from Portsmouth to come to us.

I'd agree that Flinders would be a fantastic signing if we could pull it off, I don't remember the last time we signed a goalie in his "peak years". Ideally I'd want an experienced 'keeper to be the absolute priority this summer.

In the middle of the park someone like Chris Lines could be available - seems out of favour at Port Vale and currently on loan at Brizzle Rovers, should they not get promoted he may be on the lookout for a league club.

Up front, if Eastleigh fail in the conference playoffs then again we could be able to poach some of their talent, particularly James Constable who could hopefully be a good foil to Tom Nichols in a classic "big man little man" partnership up front (although I still have my hopes that Cummins will make that position his own next season...)

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tranmere goalie Owain Fon Williams would be my top target, along with defender/midfielder Abu Ogogo - both out of contract I believe. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see Matt Taylor return, though whether he's the player of old remains to be seen. We also need a young left-back to challenge JamieMac and a box-to-box midfielder if Sercs is leaving. Upfront I'd bring in a poacher and target man - Cureton and Ryan Taylor?

Last edited:

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd have the centre half from AFC Wimbledon who was on loan from Cardiff. Someone like kwesi appiah up front.

It will be extremely depressing if we go back to the likes of Matt Taylor.

I'd have the centre half from AFC Wimbledon who was on loan from Cardiff. Someone like kwesi appiah up front.

It will be extremely depressing if we go back to the likes of Matt Taylor.
What about a "big ugly" front guy like Akinfenwa. Don't know the contract situation though-unlike Cummins he doesn't fall over much and is a real menace-a great guy as well; cheered off by City fans when we last met AFC !
Agree re Flinders-I did mention him some time ago.

1995OD

I'd love to see Tisdale sign a proper target man. For me, Cummins has just been John O'Flynn version 2.0 and Morrison is great, but you can't make 24 appearances as a striker and fail to score. I think someone like Kieffer Moore from Yeovil would be a great signing. He's out of contract in the summer, is 6'5" and only 22. His goal scoring record at Yeovil hasn't been incredible but that's because he's been at a club who have finished bottom of the league both seasons. Two seasons ago he was scoring freely in Conference South so I think League 2 would be the right standard for him.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember being very impressed by Jack Whatmough from Pompey - he's only 18 and according to Wiki he's contracted til 2017, but he's just the kind of player I'd like to see us sign at the back - seems very composed and level headed, decent turn of pace, and seemed good in the air too. Also seems to have been capped at u-18 and u-19 for England - but that will also mean he's hard to tempt away from Portsmouth to come to us.

I'd agree that Flinders would be a fantastic signing if we could pull it off, I don't remember the last time we signed a goalie in his "peak years". Ideally I'd want an experienced 'keeper to be the absolute priority this summer.

In the middle of the park someone like Chris Lines could be available - seems out of favour at Port Vale and currently on loan at Brizzle Rovers, should they not get promoted he may be on the lookout for a league club.

Up front, if Eastleigh fail in the conference playoffs then again we could be able to poach some of their talent, particularly James Constable who could hopefully be a good foil to Tom Nichols in a classic "big man little man" partnership up front (although I still have my hopes that Cummins will make that position his own next season...)
Whatmough is a non starter. I expect Pompey have a big price tag on his head.

Lines and Constable are decent shouts, however the latter is on a fair wedge I've heard.

GrecianWonder

Lines and Constable are decent shouts, however the latter is on a fair wedge I've heard.
Whatmough has been linked to Championship and Premier League clubs. Some of you guys are in cuckoo land over who can sign. Yes we have more money but they still need to be value for money.

Terryhall

Whatmough has been linked to Championship and Premier League clubs. Some of you guys are in cuckoo land over who can sign. Yes we have more money but they still need to be value for money.
Yep, as I said think he'd be very hard to tempt away. If nothing else, that's the template for the kind of player I think we need to sign. Agree with others who said Matt Taylor would be a backwards step at this time.

Hopefully there's some budget there to sign a striker, they tend to be the more expensive positions to fill so I wouldn't expect a decent scorer to be cheap.