• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The front pair

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The loss of Tom Nichols for 3 matches will be a huge blow. We seem to be rather light on strikers with a good goal scoring record this season. I think Tisdale will go for Morrison and Cummins, with Bennett as back up striker. I'd prefer Cummins and Wheeler, even though I'd much prefer Wheeler to be out wide for us.

Ollie Watkins should stay on loan at WSM as the experience is doing him good. I don't think Matt Jay is ready for 90 minutes yet, and I'm unsure about how fit Jamie Reid is (he wasn't on the bench on Saturday).

DanceMagnet

I would prefer to see Cummins and Alex Nicholls as a front pair. It worked really well at Tranmere earlier in the season.

I would concur that Cummins and Nicholls should be given a try. They won't, Morrison will start, do nothing for 60 minutes and then get in a sulk when he is subbed, probably to be replaced by Bennett.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Front 3 of Cummins, Holmes, Wheeler/ Nicholls. Watkins on the bench for a half hour run out.

muppetdodger

I would concur that Cummins and Nicholls should be given a try. They won't, Morrison will start, do nothing for 60 minutes and then get in a sulk when he is subbed, probably to be replaced by Bennett.
Not sure I've ever seen Morrison sulk when is subbed. Has Bennett replaced him a lot then?

DanceMagnet

I don't think any player should be happy with being subbed. Nothing wrong with that.

On the up

Not sure I've ever seen Morrison sulk when is subbed. Has Bennett replaced him a lot then?
There you go spoiling a good rant with some factual observations.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think any player should be happy with being subbed by Bennett. Nothing wrong with that.
Amended for factuals.

Many years ago, when Tisdale was a young, hungry manager, prepared to try out different tactics and combinations in order to outwit the opposition, he had two front two pairings. One was Logan/Stansfield the other was Phillips/Challinor. It might be worth considering a role for Jimmy K somewhere, channelling Jonny C

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We need Morrison up front at Luton to counter Steve McNulty, who wins a lot in the air but never heads the ball in the right direction so there is plenty of mileage out of having someone who can rough him up a bit.

Holmes and Alex Nicholls on the flanks, McCready (who I was very impressed by on Saturday) in support. Wheeler best IMO currently as an impact player.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
We need Morrison up front at Luton to counter Steve McNulty, who wins a lot in the air.
Surely it makes more sense to pick attackers who's abilities are different from defenders. if we're playing against lumbering beasts, play little nippy players and if you were setting up against, say, our defense, get some big men on and get the ball in the mixer, no?