• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

IBA

I wanted some sensible Exeter City perspective on the plight of our nearest neighbours.

Below halfway in the Conference and rumours of financial turmoil , is a recipe for Torks disappearing into oblivion. How does this effect Exeter City?

No more trips to Plainmoor, limited opportunities for Devon derbies especially if Argyle go up.

I remember Mike Bateson generously donating the Turks share of gate receipts in our hour of need, should Exeter City reciprocate the favour if needed?

PS this is not Banter & is a legitimate WOWs subject as I wanted to discuss our relationship with our nearest rivals.

Last edited:

paperclip

I would rather they were in our league, as I've always enjoyed trips to Plainmoor.

Wasn't aware they were in financial difficulties, equally I can't see them getting promoted again any time soon.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Three healthy football teams in Devon would be good to see again. I hope the gulls get all the **** sorted out and come back.

tagz

I know they are looking for new investors
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31355855

ALOTBSOL

They just need someone to buy them. They don't really have enough fans to do a trust, and the owner was running out of lottery money years ago. Best thing we could do for them is teach them how to be sustainable, assuming that we remember how to do that now that we have a chunk of money to fall back on...

PeteUSA

They just need someone to buy them. They don't really have enough fans to do a trust, and the owner was running out of lottery money years ago. Best thing we could do for them is teach them how to be sustainable, assuming that we remember how to do that now that we have a chunk of money to fall back on...
They just need someone to buy them? Is that all? You make it sound easy, I wish there was somebody out there that would buy us. And how do we teach them to be "sustainable" when we've needed PFA loans, and are now dependent on the Grimes money to stave off another loan application. We dont have a clue how the club is run at board level, let alone teach them anything.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Lost at home to bottom place Telford i see

manc grecian

Unless the people of the town support the team then they are always going to struggle and leak money. The long term should be to start producing some of their own players.

Not sure they want or need our sympathy.

andrew p long

it is normally premature to write off local rivals and suggest that we'll never play them again(!)

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
If they don't turn things around quickly they could quite easily become regular conference strugglers and a drop to conf South wouldn't be out of the question.