Page 73 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: The Serious Torquay Thread

Re: The Serious Torquay Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    Hants wouldn't they be in breach of using the name "Dulwich Hamlet" with that update though ?

Anyway back on the topic of TUFC when ive spoken to their supporters on occasion most seem to be willing to go watch that lot down the A38 than come up to SJP if anything happened to Plainmoor.
    I get that feeling. The Argyle V Torquay is a fairly friendly rivalry. They both enjoy each other's company.

Is Helen Chamberlain rich enough to take over her beloved club? either she helps or she will have to have that tattoo of hers lasered off her arse cheek!

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by grecianfaniow View Post
    Is Helen Chamberlain rich enough to take over her beloved club? either she helps or she will have to have that tattoo of hers lasered off her arse cheek!
    https://networthpost.com/net-worth/h...ain-net-worth/

100,000 aint worth a lot in football these days. The last person with any money to put into TUFC was the lottery winner maybe he should have tried to buy the lot from the start instead of just chucking money into a stand that will probably be torn down within a year at this rate of decline.

Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    https://networthpost.com/net-worth/h...ain-net-worth/

100,000 aint worth a lot in football these days. The last person with any money to put into TUFC was the lottery winner maybe he should have tried to buy the lot from the start instead of just chucking money into a stand that will probably be torn down within a year at this rate of decline.
    It's a great point Ramone. I'm not sure how much Thea Bristow chucked at the club but i'm told it was well in excess of 4 million quid and all of it squandered by those entrusted to run the club and make key decisions on her behalf. I'm pretty sure if i was going to risk that amount of money on nothing more than a passionate whim then i'd want some security at the very least. Perhaps she didn't want the responsibility of actually owning the club outright and preferred to bankroll it until it wiped it's nose each year. Like i said though, that requires a board who know their onions when it comes to football admin and running a football club properly. It appears that at that time, Torquay had none of these people behind the scenes and if they did have the odd one or two who were more than capable then they were IMO clearly swayed in the short term by the pleasing sound of jangling pennies being emptied into their bank accounts more than the longer term kudos of running a successful and profitable football club.
    Last edited by Legohead; 08 March 2018 at 11:04.

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Lego the bill at the Dulwich club is only 121k in perspective .

If those figures are right that she put in 4 million then I cant see that amount of ground in that area of Torquay being worth more than 2-3 mil and still have 1 mil to play with bringing a new board / trustees in to run it ? Like us they should have lived within their means instead of just waiting for handouts.

At some point clubs do have to go under if they aren't getting enough revenue in to stay open.

Fingers uncrossed and looking forward to next season!

It certainly does put things in perspective Ramone.

With Torquay it was more a case of the wrong people in charge of the ship. Thea contributed most towards the cost of the new stand which was named after her late husband and she then basically acted as a cash cow for the decision makers who convinced her that spending X amount on this and X amount on that was a good idea. Until the signings made by Alan Knill on decent two year contracts mostly turned out to be duds and ended up getting the club relegated. This compounded things and the money started to dry up as Thea, i presume finally woke up to those around her 'playing a game' shall we say but with HER lottery winnings.

Torquay didn't really stand a chance because no matter how much money you are able to chuck at a football club, if the people responsible for it and responsible for running it are irresponsible, not fit for purpose and are of a more self centred disposition then the end result will always be the same.

Although the situation at Exeter is entirely different and on the face of it, everyone down at SJP is together, transparent and open the situation at Chester FC serves as a warning against complacency and that fans shouldn't simply trust blindly people who run football clubs (trust run OR privately owned).
    Last edited by Legohead; 08 March 2018 at 12:17.

The sad state of affairs at TUFC shows that even football at L2 or Lower level takes real large sums of money. Their lottery winner won 15m and he (Before he passed away) then she put in reportedly upwards of 4m of that money and for what? Just keeping the club where it was, Although it seems she put a lot of blind faith in people who were happy to spend her money and look where it got her. Now this gaming company are in the picture i wouldn't give them a penny, Just wouldn't trust them at all.

Remember we couldn't raise enough to exit the CVA if it wasn't for the FA Cup draw with Man U and we have a bigger fan base than TUFC. Always remember threads on here about what they would do if they won a large sum in the lottery, Nowadays it would have to be a vast sum and if someone did being a fan i think would cloud any judgement on how best to spend that money then you could end up with people like Mr & Mrs Barlow did, Advised them but TBH the Barlows probably were there just to write out the cheques not really knowing where that money was going

I'm confident we'd have comfortably sorted the CVA - "Red or Dead" was going pretty well but stopped dead in the water once ball 64 was drawn.

The key, as said, is that if you're suddenly minted and you want to invest in your club, you need to do it wisely. Giving Paul Buckle a blank cheque to go and gazump his recent former employers with 3 year lucrative contracts for their targets / players was the first stop on the road to ruin. Had they ploughed the cash instead into infrastructure, they may have been on a firmer footing in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    I'm confident we'd have comfortably sorted the CVA - "Red or Dead" was going pretty well but stopped dead in the water once ball 64 was drawn.
    Must admit i thought at the time we were struggling to get to the total, But i'm here to be corrected