• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Masters of Muppetry please read this

http://www.worldfootball.net/news/_n1278953_/paid-up-pompey-now-debt-free---club/

Apparently Portsmouth have 2300 fans pledging £1000 each net result capitalisation of 2.3milllion pounds , we have 3100 ( minus 200 kids) paying 2 quid a month. Do the maths - put the buckets away and get some commercial nouse!

The Trustees should take control.........of their own business

We own our football club - so let's own the issues

http://www.worldfootball.net/news/_n1278953_/paid-up-pompey-now-debt-free---club/

Apparently Portsmouth have 2300 fans pledging £1000 each net result capitalisation of 2.3milllion pounds , we have 3100 ( minus 200 kids) paying 2 quid a month. Do the maths - put the buckets away and get some commercial Nouse!

Apologies for commenting on own post...

The City is home to a large number of prestigious organisations who have chosen to base their national or Regional HQs here. Exeter has a population of around 119,600, a travel-to-work area with a population of over 280,000, a shopping catchment of over 550,000, a student population of around 12,000 and over 2 million day-visitors a year

DanceMagnet

2300 fans represents around 15% of their average crowd. On the assumption of the City average crowd and similar percentage willing to stump up £1000, I make that an amount a little over £500,000. Not sure that there is as much enthusiasm to invest in ECFC currently, hence probably something well below that figure would be realized.

A new share issue has been suggested on Exeweb several times, but never got beyond that to my knowledge.

The City is home to a large number of prestigious organisations who have chosen to base their national or Regional HQs here. Exeter has a population of around 119,600, a travel-to-work area with a population of over 280,000, a shopping catchment of over 550,000, a student population of around 12,000 and over 2 million day-visitors a year

Apparently Portsmouth have 2300 fans pledging £1000 each net result capitalisation of 2.3milllion pounds , we have 3100 ( minus 200 kids) paying 2 quid a month. Do the maths - put the buckets away and get some commercial nouse!

But we are only 'little old Exeter' a struggling 4 tier club for the majority of our existence and that is all we can ever be, nothing more nothing less.......................................... Bulls to that I say!!

The fact that Exeter City FC can only muster around 3k - 4k fans through the gates is utterly pathetic when you compare it to the cities population with only between 2.6% and 3.4% of the population of just the city, coming on a match day which wrongly assumes that not a single person or family comes from Exmouth, Taunton, Crediton, Barnstaple, Okehampton and the smaller surrounding towns/villages etc, etc to games.

We have been dealt a line for too long that there is some sort of glass ceiling on this clubs potential and subsequent achievable ambitions both off the pitch and on it. There are plenty of examples of cities or large towns with smaller populations than our making it to the Premiership and a lot of the time holding their own too. It might have taken somebody with money and a clear 'vision' of the future but the likes of Blackburn (105'085 population), Wigan (97'000 population) and Burnley (73'700) have all been in the Premiership and stayed there or in Burnley's case gone up, been relegated, but then gone back up again a few years down the line. You could even add Blackpool to that list as their population is around 142'000 so not completely out of the same bracket as us. These clubs with a limited 'local market' have not been messing around believing that they can only ever be what they were in the past and certainly punch above their weight in terms of the amount of fans they attract to games. Blackburn for example averaged in a poor season in the Championship last year 15034 which if you compare that on the sames basis as I did early with how ECFC do in terms of just their cities population against attendances, it works out at just under 15% compared to our 2.6% - 3.4%. Please also don't tell me that these clubs are not in areas where they don't have competition from other clubs for fans either especially the likes of Wigan with the two major Manchester clubs and the two major Liverpool clubs within shooting distance without even mentioning all of the smaller clubs in the same area. Also they have a lot more competition from other sports like Rugby as well as there certainly being a lot of other activities going on at a weekend to compete with over the average persons disposable income.

Our 'friends' at Sandy Park have proven that if you 'build it, they will come' in that they have built the club up to a level where it is competing at a high level against excellent quality teams so people from far afield i.e. not their own cities population will travel to watch quality sport. I know of hundreds of rugby fans that drive up from Cornwall every home match, hundreds from Somerset, hundreds from Dorset as well, not to mention people from all over the length and breadth of Devon. Nobody is going to tell me that Rugby is a more popular sport in the UK than Football with more potential 'buyers' (fans) or that Exeter is truly a 'Rugby' city either. More to the truth is that the Rugby club have upped their game (not just on the pitch) and have set their sights higher than just trying to muddle their way through with the only target being survival or being happy to continually compete at the same level as they always have done in the past. The amount of football fans who get on buses each week from our catchment area to go up to watch the Man Utd's, Liverpools, Leeds etc of this world is crazy. All of these people are potential customers of Exeter City FC if we had a club playing at a high enough level, they might not or never will be ECFC fans but who gives a monkeys if their money is coming into the ECFC coffers helping us to sign better players or keep the better players we want to so us real ECFC fans can enjoy it??! Come to that whichever club in Devon whether it is us, Plymouth or even Torquay gets to the higher reaches of the Championships or even the Premiership first has the potential to be able to survive at that level if they can tap into the floating football fan market throughout Devon, Cornwall and even parts of Somerset who just want to see high level and quality football on the weekends. They wouldn't have to be 'here when we were s#@t' they just have to pay their money like the rest of us to make sure we don't go back to being s#@t again in theory! :)

Personally I would be looking to Wigan as a club with a similar population as ours, who also have a large Rugby club in their town, to see what they do to hold market share and even increase it in the build up to their 1st time in the Premiership as they were arguably an even smaller club traditionally than us before the initial Dave Whelan transformation.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Personally I would be looking to Wigan as a club with a similar population as ours, who also have a large Rugby club in their town, to see what they do to hold market share and even increase it in the build up to their 1st time in the Premiership as they were arguably an even smaller club traditionally than us before the initial Dave Whelan transformation.
I don't disagree that their is plenty of potential around that could see the club grow. But to compare us to Wigan(Albeit the starting point is similar) is ridiculous unless a Dave Whelan fund the dream owner who is passionate about the club comes along comparing us to them is silly.

Hull are a club i would say are nearer to comparison but even then a 25,000 seater stadium and lost of investment came to fruition. Without significant investment(The stadium alone is £7.5m to do two stands and we don't even have a long term lease on it).

We need ownership of the stadium and significant investment just to get the stadium up to scratch. Unless a Dave Whelan type comes along we are hardly investment material for anyone.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

If you told me I had to up my contribution from my current fiver a month to £1000 per year (or even a one-off payment), it'd be "bye bye Trust" for me.

David Treharne

A new share issue has been suggested on Exeweb several times, but never got beyond that to my knowledge.
It will help when we resolve the current issues regarding minority shareholders. This is an issue that has been in abeyance ( for one reason or another) since 2003. The Ownership Working group which meets on Monday has it as an agenda item, as, at last, some forward progress is being made. Only when the current issues are resolved could there be any contemplation of a share issue. Various community share schemes have been looked at but there are currently ( as far as I know) no plans for one to be implemented. I'll try to add more detail to what is, or might be happening after the meeting on Monday, and also try to add a little more detail to what has happened (is happening) at Pompey. It's a completely different approach to the Trust model that has developed because there are a number of individuals who have been individually willing to put in substantial funds.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you told me I had to up my contribution from my current fiver a month to £1000 per year (or even a one-off payment), it'd be "bye bye Trust" for me.
Yup, me too. IF I had a thousand quid spare a month, it would sadly not be going to the trust, especially when there are certain staff taking a decent wedge above League 2 level

cannockred

Wigan are not a good compararison.

They have a sugar daddy, they have been handed an absolute fortune from the tv money and rugby league is predominantly a summer sport.

Apart from that though, it is a good comprison ]:)

But we are only 'little old Exeter' a struggling 4 tier club for the majority of our existence and that is all we can ever be, nothing more nothing less.......................................... Bulls to that I say!!

The fact that Exeter City FC can only muster around 3k - 4k fans through the gates is utterly pathetic when you compare it to the cities population with only between 2.6% and 3.4% of the population of just the city, coming on a match day which wrongly assumes that not a single person or family comes from Exmouth, Taunton, Crediton, Barnstaple, Okehampton and the smaller surrounding towns/villages etc, etc to games.

We have been dealt a line for too long that there is some sort of glass ceiling on this clubs potential and subsequent achievable ambitions both off the pitch and on it. There are plenty of examples of cities or large towns with smaller populations than our making it to the Premiership and a lot of the time holding their own too. It might have taken somebody with money and a clear 'vision' of the future but the likes of Blackburn (105'085 population), Wigan (97'000 population) and Burnley (73'700) have all been in the Premiership and stayed there or in Burnley's case gone up, been relegated, but then gone back up again a few years down the line. You could even add Blackpool to that list as their population is around 142'000 so not completely out of the same bracket as us. These clubs with a limited 'local market' have not been messing around believing that they can only ever be what they were in the past and certainly punch above their weight in terms of the amount of fans they attract to games. Blackburn for example averaged in a poor season in the Championship last year 15034 which if you compare that on the sames basis as I did early with how ECFC do in terms of just their cities population against attendances, it works out at just under 15% compared to our 2.6% - 3.4%. Please also don't tell me that these clubs are not in areas where they don't have competition from other clubs for fans either especially the likes of Wigan with the two major Manchester clubs and the two major Liverpool clubs within shooting distance without even mentioning all of the smaller clubs in the same area. Also they have a lot more competition from other sports like Rugby as well as there certainly being a lot of other activities going on at a weekend to compete with over the average persons disposable income.

Our 'friends' at Sandy Park have proven that if you 'build it, they will come' in that they have built the club up to a level where it is competing at a high level against excellent quality teams so people from far afield i.e. not their own cities population will travel to watch quality sport. I know of hundreds of rugby fans that drive up from Cornwall every home match, hundreds from Somerset, hundreds from Dorset as well, not to mention people from all over the length and breadth of Devon. Nobody is going to tell me that Rugby is a more popular sport in the UK than Football with more potential 'buyers' (fans) or that Exeter is truly a 'Rugby' city either. More to the truth is that the Rugby club have upped their game (not just on the pitch) and have set their sights higher than just trying to muddle their way through with the only target being survival or being happy to continually compete at the same level as they always have done in the past. The amount of football fans who get on buses each week from our catchment area to go up to watch the Man Utd's, Liverpools, Leeds etc of this world is crazy. All of these people are potential customers of Exeter City FC if we had a club playing at a high enough level, they might not or never will be ECFC fans but who gives a monkeys if their money is coming into the ECFC coffers helping us to sign better players or keep the better players we want to so us real ECFC fans can enjoy it??! Come to that whichever club in Devon whether it is us, Plymouth or even Torquay gets to the higher reaches of the Championships or even the Premiership first has the potential to be able to survive at that level if they can tap into the floating football fan market throughout Devon, Cornwall and even parts of Somerset who just want to see high level and quality football on the weekends. They wouldn't have to be 'here when we were s#@t' they just have to pay their money like the rest of us to make sure we don't go back to being s#@t again in theory! :)

Couldn't agree more wholeheartedly - although seeing the Chiefs as competition may be a red herring IMO