Page 151 of 152 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1519

Thread: Ollie Watkins

Re: Ollie Watkins

Quote Originally Posted by Terryhall View Post
    No it isn't, it's one opinion based on not very much.
    in your opinion , which, imo, is based on very little.

I feel like I've entered a parallel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by fred binneys head View Post
    I feel like I've entered a parallel universe.
    "Warp Facter 007 Mr Sulu"

Brentford supporter here, hope you don’t mind me joining your forum, I’m here mainly to get your views and thoughts on Ollie Watkins and to keep you up to date with his progress with us.

Those of you who may be following his progress will know we’re currently struggling to score goals. This is mainly due to our main striker being out injured and a talented but inexperienced youngster in Neal Maupay being played in his place. The one stand out player for us this season had been Ollie Watkins, who is a bit of a revelation.

We play a possesion based and attacking 4-3-3, with the front three comprising a No 9 centre forward (Maupay) and two attacking midfielders, with Watkins mostly playing on the left of the No. 9.

There’s some debate and disagreement on our own forum Griffin Park Grapevine as to where Watkins’ best position is in that front 3. With some suggesting that he wants to play out wide as that’s seem to be where he’s most effective with others now wanting to see him replace Maupay in the centre.

The question is therefore, given you guys have seen a lot more of him that we have, where’s his best position? Where’s he most efffective, centrally or as an attacking midfielder either side of the striker?

Quote Originally Posted by BerksBee View Post
    Brentford supporter here, hope you don’t mind me joining your forum, I’m here mainly to get your views and thoughts on Ollie Watkins and to keep you up to date with his progress with us.

Those of you who may be following his progress will know we’re currently struggling to score goals. This is mainly due to our main striker being out injured and a talented but inexperienced youngster in Neal Maupay being played in his place. The one stand out player for us this season had been Ollie Watkins, who is a bit of a revelation.

We play a possesion based and attacking 4-3-3, with the front three comprising a No 9 centre forward (Maupay) and two attacking midfielders, with Watkins mostly playing on the left of the No. 9.

There’s some debate and disagreement on our own forum Griffin Park Grapevine as to where Watkins’ best position is in that front 3. With some suggesting that he wants to play out wide as that’s seem to be where he’s most effective with others now wanting to see him replace Maupay in the centre.

The question is therefore, given you guys have seen a lot more of him that we have, where’s his best position? Where’s he most efffective, centrally or as an attacking midfielder either side of the striker?
    Definitely not as a spearhead. IMO most effective as an attacking # 10 with an emphasis slightly to the left, though not out wide where he's wasted. Think of a left sided Delle Alli. With us he also did his fair share of tracking back and supporting the more defensive LM and LB.

He could get 20 goals for you this season if handled correctly. I hope we get a juicy add on when he is snapped up by a lower half PL side.

Could the reason Ollie went to Brentford for "only" 1.8 million be because of something that Tis is often quoted as saying. " A transfer has to satisfy three parties to be successful. The selling club, the buying club and of course the player." I don't claim to have any inside knowledge, but perhaps Ollie, his family and his agent thought that Brentford gave him the best opportunity to play regularly and so put him in the best shop window to progress his career. He might have refused to go anywhere else, having seen what happened to Grimes. You can't show case your talents sat on the bench or in the stiffs.

Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    Definitely not as a spearhead. IMO most effective as an attacking # 10 with an emphasis slightly to the left, though not out wide where he's wasted. Think of a left sided Delle Alli. With us he also did his fair share of tracking back and supporting the more defensive LM and LB.
    Thanks for your reply.

We don't really play with a 'spearhead' No. 9, if anything they're almost like a false No 9, that finds space and pulls defenders out of position. Neither do we play a No. 10, in our 4-3-3 the two full backs work as wingbacks and create the width, the two either side of the striker cut inside and are overlapped by the two wingbacks. So what you describe as a left sided attacking mid, is pretty much where he's currently being played.

Quote Originally Posted by John William View Post
    He could get 20 goals for you this season if handled correctly. I hope we get a juicy add on when he is snapped up by a lower half PL side.
    He's already got 4 so far, so on the way to 20! Our top scorer already.

Our owner, Matthew Benham, whilst a businessman first and foremost, is a decent, honest and moral individual and I can assure you, Exeter will have got a good deal with regards to sell on clauses, perfmance and appearance bonuses etc.

As the post #1506 here rightly points out, the deal has to suit all 3 parties and given we have a track record of identifying, pursuing and buying lower league talent, coaching, developing them and selling them on, we're as much a stepping stone in his future development as you were. Given how talented he his and how well he's already adapted to Championship football, we'll have a job hanging on to him when the big boys come knocking. It's all part of the game and small clubs like ours will always have our best talent pursued by bigger wealthier clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by BerksBee View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    Good luck with Watkins mate. Personally I think it was a great bit of business for us. Yes, he'd have the odd great game, but then he'd go missing for 2 sometimes 3 games. Case in point: the Wembley play-off where he was rubbish.

Enjoy his honeymoon!
    Last edited by Mr Jinx; 27 September 2017 at 22:34.

Jinx. As a mitigating factor there was a lot of transfer talk around Ollie after last Xmas and he might have been a bit affected by that : he's still a young guy and it would have been a big deal to leave behind his home club and mates. Surrounded by better players, I'm sure he'll continue to do well.

Out of curiosity would you also like our Manager Paul Tisdale? We'd let him go for free, or a small donation would be more then appreciated.