• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Where else would Failure be tolerated?

Saint James

So just four home wins in the last 12 months at Exeter City - by any stretch of the imagination that is a spectacular failure. I'm unsure how few home wins I have seen in the past three seasons but it's not been a huge number. Carlisle have reacted to a poor start by sacking their manager this week.

Why is it that we as a fan base are so tolerant, so accepting of failure? Most if not all other clubs would have exerted pressure to act. Are the majority of us as fans accepting of our continued failure or do most simply not care any more?

motorservices

alot, tbh are prob still in the 2003 mid set that at least we still have a club, im of the thought train that in may 2011 we had our joint best finish, and why did we not continue, changes are needed, but to many happy clappers will put a stop to it

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
There's loads of places where failure is tolerated: most sports, governments, the military, NHS, local councils, big corporations, etc etc.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So just four home wins in the last 12 months at Exeter City - by any stretch of the imagination that is a spectacular failure. I'm unsure how few home wins I have seen in the past three seasons but it's not been a huge number. Carlisle have reacted to a poor start by sacking their manager this week.

Why is it that we as a fan base are so tolerant, so accepting of failure? Most if not all other clubs would have exerted pressure to act. Are the majority of us as fans accepting of our continued failure or do most simply not care any more?
Over 2,500 fans have voted with their feet since 2010/11, and we're still in 2014. That is a massive vote of no confidence.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
If you accept bring crap your mind set will continue to accept poor performances and results.

Exeter as a club IMO are too accepting of failure, just because we've got a small budget and are little old Exeter it means there happy to accept the fact that we're going to be a poor side the majority of the time.

1 win every 5.6 games in 2014 says everything you need to know sadly.

I also think it's got to stage where boredom has taken over from people giving a **** anymore.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
At least in the bad old days we had the excitement of a new manager being appointed every so often and actually making progress in the FA Cup once every three seasons or so.

Didn't Cornforth get us to the 3rd round of the FA Cup with a tie at then top-flight Charlton shortly before he was fired? With more luck, we might have got Man U and who knows what might have happened... The FA Cup seems like a distant dream now, Tisdale has extinguished even that little bit of joy in our lives.

PeteUSA

I think its just a sign of modern day times. In the old days on many occasions when the fans wanted a manager gone, they dished out intolerable abuse from the OG, which in those days was far from being a 'family stand'. Also the 'f^^k off' recommendations could be heard loud and clear from the other three sides of the ground! When Brian Godfrey died a few years ago, I had to smile at some of the 'tributes' on here saying what a wonderful man he was! Obviously they were forgetting that he was later pressurised by the abuse he suffered into handing in his notice! Then there was 'Terry Terry give us a wave' Cooper, who was driven to the point of a nervous breakdown because of the abuse he suffered from the fans the second time around.

I dont think modern day fans are of that mindset anymore; they would just stop going to games (as seems to be our case now), which isnt altogether the best idea, since when you've got a hard nosed brazen character as we currently have, he'll continue to pick up his paycheck, even if we get less the a 1,000 in and wind up back in non league football (assuming we can stay in business that long!)

Tisdale has us in a terrible situation, and I cant see how we can offload him. Its disgraceful that he was ever awarded a contract of such magnitude.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I could accept being a mid table league 2 side - who lost a few and won a few - but tried to play with decent football.

that's not a lot to ask surely ?

Even being a mid table side who had the odd cup win would do.

Tisdale just doesn't do cups does he - even a run in the JPT would do.

Avening Posse

I think its just a sign of modern day times. In the old days on many occasions when the fans wanted a manager gone, they dished out intolerable abuse from the OG, which in those days was far from being a 'family stand'. Also the 'f^^k off' recommendations could be heard loud and clear from the other three sides of the ground! When Brian Godfrey died a few years ago, I had to smile at some of the 'tributes' on here saying what a wonderful man he was! Obviously they were forgetting that he was later pressurised by the abuse he suffered into handing in his notice! Then there was 'Terry Terry give us a wave' Cooper, who was driven to the point of a nervous breakdown because of the abuse he suffered from the fans the second time around.

I dont think modern day fans are of that mindset anymore; they would just stop going to games (as seems to be our case now), which isnt altogether the best idea, since when you've got a hard nosed brazen character as we currently have, he'll continue to pick up his paycheck, even if we get less the a 1,000 in and wind up back in non league football (assuming we can stay in business that long!)

Tisdale has us in a terrible situation, and I cant see how we can offload him. Its disgraceful that he was ever awarded a contract of such magnitude.
I understand what you are saying Pete, and times have certainly changed in terms of verbals dished out to managers, I recall Brian Godfrey getting a lot of abuse over a prolonged period, and remember the small demo on the pitch after we got hammered by Brentford, but I think there are at least 2 important differences, the first being the key decision makers this time round are employed, so it's not their money, so less personally motivated to make the call, and secondly many believe Tisdale hasn't been given the tools, when key players left for higher clubs or higher money there is a perception that the finger cannot be pointed at Tisdale for that, he probably didn't want any of the decent players to be allowed to leave.......he's not going to leave Pete, and we can't pay him off, and most fans know that

wemissmoxey

Anyone still remember V10 ??

We were a trust run club then, what happened to some of that ambition ???

Last edited: