• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Champions league

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hi, for those of you with a passing interest in the higher echelons, how to you think Arsenal will get on tonight ?, and what's more, who do you think out of the English teams are best suited for the Champions League this time out ?

I think Arsenal will be fine tonight, but think the Liverpool style of play might just upset a few continental teams this season, so fancy them to progress the furthest

Views ?

Grecian_Jay

Afternoon Posse. I'd say Arsenal will go through tonight, they'll miss Giroud and Ramsey but will have enough to go through, maybe 2-1.

Chelsea will get the furthest, I'd say the semis should be a realistic aim. Liverpool will play well but I think they'll struggle to get out the group, all depends on what seeding they get I suppose.

Bayern will win the trophy outright.

Antony Moxey

Arsenal will be fine and will get to the last 16, MC and Chelsea could go all the way but fear for Liverpool - they're very good going forward but have a shocking defence which could be their undoing.

Avening Posse

Thanks chaps, and good to see they have allowed you to come back in from the cold Jay. Tend to agree in prem terms City and Chelsea are probably the stronger, but Chelsea have quite a continental way of playing which will feel familiar to opponents maybe ?, whereas Liverpool on their day go for that old style british devil may care thing, which when it works, could brush aside some continental teams ?.......not sure how it will work against a Bayern or Barcelona though :)

Grecian_Jay

Thanks chaps, and good to see they have allowed you to come back in from the cold Jay. Tend to agree in prem terms City and Chelsea are probably the stronger, but Chelsea have quite a continental way of playing which will feel familiar to opponents maybe ?, whereas Liverpool on their day go for that old style british devil may care thing, which when it works, could brush aside some continental teams ?.......not sure how it will work against a Bayern or Barcelona though :)
Cheers Posse. One thing is for sure and that's that it'll be great for England if Liverpool go far. I can't wait to see Sterling terrorise top defences and see how Sturridge, Lallana, Henderson, Flanagan etc all cope.

Last edited:

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It'll be a struggle for Arsenal tonight. They have to be very wary when attacking as a Besiktas away goal would make it very difficult. I'll go 1-0 with a Sanchez second half goal.

Looking at the Club coefficients for the english sides, it looks like Liverpool could be 4th seeds for the draw. Chelsea 1st and Arsenal and Man City 2nd seeds. A lot will depend on the draw for each side. Liverpool could get a group like Madrid, PSG and Juventus. Worst case scenario but it could happen. I'd expect Chelsea to progress the furthest. Semi finals sounds about right. Arsenal and Man City probably around last 16/quarters. Liverpool are a bit of a wildcard for me. Could go far but they could also be eliminated in the group stage.

Also, do the Europa League winners get a Champions League place? If so, were someone like Tottenham to win it, would only the top 3 from the Prem qualify for the Champions League the following season? Anyone know?

Grecian_Jay

It'll be a struggle for Arsenal tonight. They have to be very wary when attacking as a Besiktas away goal would make it very difficult. I'll go 1-0 with a Sanchez second half goal.

Looking at the Club coefficients for the english sides, it looks like Liverpool could be 4th seeds for the draw. Chelsea 1st and Arsenal and Man City 2nd seeds. A lot will depend on the draw for each side. Liverpool could get a group like Madrid, PSG and Juventus. Worst case scenario but it could happen. I'd expect Chelsea to progress the furthest. Semi finals sounds about right. Arsenal and Man City probably around last 16/quarters. Liverpool are a bit of a wildcard for me. Could go far but they could also be eliminated in the group stage.

Also, do the Europa League winners get a Champions League place? If so, were someone like Tottenham to win it, would only the top 3 from the Prem qualify for the Champions League the following season? Anyone know?
The Europa League winners get a place in the Champs league next season (not sure what stage but presume group stages). It would be in addition to the 4 Premeir League clubs though I think I read.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Europa League winners get a place in the Champs league next season (not sure what stage but presume group stages). It would be in addition to the 4 Premeir League clubs though I think I read.
Okay, thanks Jay.

Avening Posse

After seeing the draw, I fancy them all to have a good shout of the last 16, Chelsea really ought to walk their group. Man City probably got the toughest group I would say ?

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Great to be back in the CL as a Liverpool fan , decent draw , id expect us to come runners up to Madrid and sneak through.