• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The stewards at Plymouth

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I feel sorry for most of the people the stewards were heavy handed today. I'm sure there were reasons for them doing this. Even when the students seemed satisfied they weren't. I think they increased the tension in the ground. What does everyone else think? I haven't felt that nervous at a game for a long time. Then the stewards came and stood in front of me, even when there were dogs on the pitch.

motorservices

have to say at the back the steward was fine, had a good laugh with him, although i did see a couple flash points at the start of the second half though

Nik Saunders

I was almost sat behind the goal in the front of the stand and the stewards were kicking fans out for wanting to get back to their seats, one steward (Number 112 SIA) was the main leader and was getting a real kick out of it, I'm sure they had a book running on how many fans they could kick out.

Stewards were getting in the way all of the time and not willing to move out of the way.

I only saw 60 minutes of todays match and I did at one point really loss my rag and to the city fan who asked if I paid to watch the game today when being moved, the answer is 'yes'. Just because I'm in a b****y wheelchair, I still have to pay like everyone else and rightly so.

ronniej

I feel sorry for most of the people the stewards

were heavy handed today. I'm sure there were reasons for them doing this. Even when the students seemed satisfied they weren't. I think they increased the tension in the ground. What does everyone else think? I haven't felt that nervous at a game for a long time. Then the stewards came and stood in front of me, even when there were dogs on the pitch.
******* the lot of them

rp42

I was almost sat behind the goal in the front of the stand and the stewards were kicking fans out for wanting to get back to their seats, one steward (Number 112 SIA) was the main leader and was getting a real kick out of it, I'm sure they had a book running on how many fans they could kick out.

Stewards were getting in the way all of the time and not willing to move out of the way.

I only saw 60 minutes of todays match and I did at one point really loss my rag and to the city fan who asked if I paid to watch the game today when being moved, the answer is 'yes'. Just because I'm in a b****y wheelchair, I still have to pay like everyone else and rightly so.
Yep 112 was the one that was there everytime there was a hint of trouble going from one end of the stand to the other acting the big I AM,looked liked he was drugged up??

Grecian68

I feel sorry for most of the people the stewards were heavy handed today. I'm sure there were reasons for them doing this. Even when the students seemed satisfied they weren't. I think they increased the tension in the ground. What does everyone else think? I haven't felt that nervous at a game for a long time. Then the stewards came and stood in front of me, even when there were dogs on the pitch.
They were all power crazy wonkers, they seemed to revel in making any situation worse.

A Slacker

Yes, the stewards were heavy handed but the pathetic behaviour of many City fans who just seemed to be looking for trouble/confrontation did not help the situation. The infantile attitude of these "fans" made a depressing afternoon even worse.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
As I see it the problems arose because:

(a) A lot of the younger City fans were well oiled
(b) Quite a few people arrived late
(c) There was no attempt to either enforce allocated seats or explain that it was pick your own
(d) There was not enough room to apply PYO - this only works if there is 5-10% surplus places so people who want to sit in their allocated seats can, the lads can congregate standing at the back, and some flexibility is shown by the stewards
(e) When (d) became plain the stewards didn't have the brains or flexibility to move the sheet penning the City fans in a few rows further over. They could easily have done this without compromising crowd separation. When I tried to raise this with them they just blanked me, they must have instructions not to engage with the enemy...

ps Greg, sorry for startling you as I walked by...

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster

I felt the same, the steward in front of me said 'I'm I in your way', couldn't he use his own common sense.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
As I see it the problems arose because:

(a) A lot of the younger City fans were well oiled
(b) Quite a few people arrived late
(c) There was no attempt to either enforce allocated seats or explain that it was pick your own
(d) There was not enough room to apply PYO - this only works if there is 5-10% surplus places so people who want to sit in their allocated seats can, the lads can congregate standing at the back, and some flexibility is shown by the stewards
(e) When (d) became plain the stewards didn't have the brains or flexibility to move the sheet penning the City fans in a few rows further over. They could easily have done this without compromising crowd separation. When I tried to raise this with them they just blanked me, they must have instructions not to engage with the enemy...

ps Greg, sorry for startling you as I walked by...
Don't worry about making me jump, Its part of my cerebral palsy and made worse by my complex visual impairment, the only thing I can suggest is to speak to me as you come near me. situations like yesterday make my startle reflex much worse.