Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Out, Your Dining reviews

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing the truth but still believing the lies!!!!

Re: Eating Out, Your Dining reviews

For my day off yesterday, with my Devon & Cornwall rail card will travel the next chapter I took myself off to one of my favourite places in Devon, the gorgeous Town of Totnes. Before lunch I did the Castle, something I had not done before, it was a big climb, but well worth it for the views out over Totnes, and of course it helped work up an appetite.

I ended up at this rather gorgeous establishment http://www.woodsbistro.co.uk/en/menu

Spoilt for choice on the menu, I finally plumped for the Moroccan Lamb Tagine, with rice & salad, the meal was absolutely full of flavour, with the lamb being succulent & tender. The only down side to the meal was the rather small portions, so with this in mind I'll give it a 7/10, which is a shame as the food. deserved a higher rating.

Then it was off for a bit of retail therapy in some of the fabulous real shops there, I don't remember seeing a chain store, real shops, with real goods, served by real people, rather than a corporate puppet!! Whilst walking through the High Street, I had an amazing jaw dropping experience, but that is for another thread/threads

There's quite a few decent places to eat round this neck of the woods but I will be dining at my favourite place in the whole of the UK next month when we head up to The Scottish Highlands.

The Plockton Inn, Plockton which serves up some of the finest seafood in the UK. They have won awards in the past and have their own smokehouse when they smoke the fish that they catch locally. On my first visit there I had their "Seafood Platter" as a main course which included 3 different types of smoked salmon, trout, locally caught Plockton Bay prawns, langoustines, mussells, scallops, oysters, clams, whiting and a couple of others fishy delights. There was that much that on my second visit I had their "starter" version of the dish.

As an aside though, and maybe this is a long shot, my brother and I are traveling up on my 50th birthday and breaking our journey in Edinburgh. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there from up that way or who has been to Edinburgh recently who could recommend a decent restaurant in Edinburgh City Centre ( near Waverley station) that would be good for a birthday meal.

Quote Originally Posted by les.gtfc View Post
    As an aside though, and maybe this is a long shot, my brother and I are traveling up on my 50th birthday and breaking our journey in Edinburgh. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there from up that way or who has been to Edinburgh recently who could recommend a decent restaurant in Edinburgh City Centre ( near Waverley station) that would be good for a birthday meal.
    If there's just a few of you get in the Cafe Royal for some proper fish and chips and fantastic beer. It's about three minutes walk from the station.

Home Farm Hotel, Wilmington.

Very nice food, reasonably priced and very close to home. Really worth a visit.

Had a steak which was cooked to perfection. Had Ham Hock for starter with piccalilli. Was lovely.

The Galley at Topsham is a fantastic seafood restaurant. Bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

Banned

Has anyone been to Urban Burger in Queens Street? Driven past many a time, only it's my lads Birthday soon and every time we go out he goes for the burger on the menu...

There's quite a few decent places to eat round this neck of the woods but I will be dining at my favourite place in the whole of the UK next month when we head up to The Scottish Highlands.

The Plockton Inn, Plockton which serves up some of the finest seafood in the UK. They have won awards in the past and have their own smokehouse when they smoke the fish that they catch locally. On my first visit there I had their "Seafood Platter" as a main course which included 3 different types of smoked salmon, trout, locally caught Plockton Bay prawns, langoustines, mussells, scallops, oysters, clams, whiting and a couple of others fishy delights. There was that much that on my second visit I had their "starter" version of the dish.

We had a family holiday a couple of years back on the Isle of Skye Les, and were told to try out the Three Chimneys restaurant. It was stupidly expensive but absolutely superb

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Silver fox View Post
    Has anyone been to Urban Burger in Queens Street? Driven past many a time, only it's my lads Birthday soon and every time we go out he goes for the burger on the menu...
    .......... or

Quote Originally Posted by Avening Posse View Post
    We had a family holiday a couple of years back on the Isle of Skye Les, and were told to try out the Three Chimneys restaurant. It was stupidly expensive but absolutely superb
    Just had a look on their website! A bit out of my price range I think. 345 for ONE nights B&B and 90 for dinner!

Just had a look on their website! A bit out of my price range I think. 345 for ONE nights B&B and 90 for dinner!
    Yep, we didn't stay there, we went for an evening meal, probably the most expensive meal ( 3 of us) I have ever paid for !, but the funny thing is, there wasnt much else to spend money on anyway, as the holiday was mainly in remote areas with not many shops, so swings and roundabouts