• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Eating Out, Your Dining reviews

Grecian_In_Exile

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
A thread for those who enjoy dining out, write your good/bad/indifferent reviews here

I'll get the ball rolling with this review for - The Harbour Rest Cafe, Newquay, which we had the 'pleasure' of sampling their fayre last Saturday 21st June 2014

So so glad we waited to dine on our visit to Newquay, we walked from the Railway Station, past loads of very tempting eating places, of various nationalities, we were going to embark on an Indian but in the end decided on a lighter lunch, so we could continue our stroll around Newquay a little less stuffed. As I walked past this Cafe to take some photo's of the harbour, I got an immediate positive vibe, and made a mental note to check out the menu on our climb back up the hill. So glad we did check it out as sea food is one of our favourites, and this cafe had an abundance of delicious sounding sea food dishes, I plumped for the Whitebait chips & side salad, something light, or so I thought. There must have been a whole shoal on the large plate, as the whitebait covered half of it, and boy were they delicious, the best whitebait I have ever had the pleasure of consuming, the good lady wife had the home made fish cakes, which I sampled a fork full of in exchange for a whitebait, a very small white bait :) The service was excellent, and all staff made you feel very welcome, we will certainly be going back to sample some more of their fayre when we visit Newquay again, I can not reccommend Harbour Rest Cafe enough, we were well and truly spoilt.

10/10

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Got some cracking eating places up here. If you're ever heading past St Helens. If you're near junction 23 on the M6 come off there and head towards haydock. Turn off after the total garage ( a few hundred yards after you come off the motorway) and you'll see the Lymewood farm restaurant on your right. They do carveries 7 days a week as well as a pub menu which is all freshly made and a specials board. They've just had a refurb and are having a salad bar put in along with an ice cream parlour. But they also do huuuuge desserts also known as cakeaways as if you are full after having your meal, you can take the dessert home. Toffee waffle cheesecake, jaffa cake cheesecake, huuuuuge eclairs, mars attack cake, huuuuge white chocolate and raspberry swiss roll to name but a few.

Have never had a bad experience there.

Last edited:

LOG

I had a KFC variety meal at Gordano services yesterday.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
What was it like LOG?

(please dont say finger lickin good)

Last edited:

LOG

It was as expected and i was very hungry.

Slightly more on topic, we went to Urban Burger in Queen Street a few weeks back and very good it was too. Lovely juicy burger with all the trimmings, perfect burger bap and spot-on chips and all very good value. The only slight downside, and i'm being really picky now, was that the waitress was a bit overly friendly. 8/10.

Silver fox

Off topic, but just out of curiosity yay or nay? ;)

LOG

Borderline yay but i wouldn't hang about afterwards.

Silver fox

Got ya, if I'm starving may pop in B-)

Last edited:

Alistair20000

This is not "Dining" as I understand the word. (n)

LOG

This is not "Dining" as I understand the word. (n)
Would it help if i said that i sat in the car and ate it?

It had taken ages to get back to Bristol because i managed to time it so that i hit all of the traffic leaving the WSM airshow, or whatever it was called, and i was bleddy starving by then. On the plus side, i did see the Vulcan fly over the motorway (y)