• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'Cans for City' - revived

Andy Holloway

There is a plan to revive the 'Cans for City' scheme, and hopefully, we should be able to get it off the ground in time for the Chesterfield game on 20th Dec.

The current rate for SORTED aluminium cans is 40p per kilo, which is £400 per ton, a figure not to be 'sniffed at'. These amounts are equivalent to something in the region of 45,000 cans, a huge amount but it should be attainable.

Initially there will be 3 or 4 cages positioned near the main turnstiles at Stadium Way, OG and somewhere in or around Red Square.

As such would any fans who have empty aluminium cans, that they would like to give to this fund raising scheme, please bring them along to SJP anytime convenient and put them in the cages provided. On non match days a cage will be positioned in the recycling area, in the left hand corner of Red Square.

To make things a little bit easier for the people who are going to sort the cans can i ask that, if possible, the cans are rinsed, sorted and bagged before being brought to SJP.

As a polite reminder, the way to tell the difference between ALUMINIUM and STEEL cans is that a magnet does NOT stick to ALUMINIUM, a fridge magnet is a handy and readily available tool to test which can is which.

If there is a good response then, in time, more collecting points around SJP will be used.

Finally, the proceeds from 'Cans for City' will be used for special projects and NOT just dumped into the general kitty.

Andy

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Andy i took a load up a couple of weeks ago and no one seemed to know where they were meant to be put !

Me and the girls ended up putting them in the cupboard thing to the left of the bar in red square there was also a quantity of ali panels which i get from work sometimes which hopefully added to the amount in weight

Just an idea but are the club and FITC getting on board with this by starting a competition between all of the schools in Exeter where the school that collects the most 'Cans for City' win say 100 Under 14 match day tickets and a days coaching from the Exeter City AFC coaches + Player visits etc, etc. It might be surprising what response you get from that. :)

I figure that certainly on the ticket side of things it wouldn't actually cost the club much as we aren't selling out ticket wise anyway.

Last edited:

Andy Holloway

Andy i took a load up a couple of weeks ago and no one seemed to know where they were meant to be put !

Me and the girls ended up putting them in the cupboard thing to the left of the bar in red square there was also a quantity of ali panels which i get from work sometimes which hopefully added to the amount in weight
Ramone,
Sadly up until now, ECC have been collecting all waste from SJP and, by way of 'payment', have charged a favourable rate for this service, we are considered a commercial premises for the purposes of waste collection. As an aside our waste up until 6/7 years ago was somewhere in the region of 12 wheelie bins, over the course of time and with proper recycling procedures in place this number of wheelie bins is now down to 3 or 4, depending on if there has been a game or not. A considerable saving i think you'll agree considering at any cost per bin.

You put the cans etc in the right place and it would have been taken away for recycling by ECC, so well done but from next week onwards there will be the dedicated cages to put your cans in.

Thanks for your support.

Andy

Andy Holloway

Just an idea but are the club and FITC getting on board with this by starting a competition between all of the schools in Exeter where the school that collects the most 'Cans for City' win say 100 Under 14 match day tickets and a days coaching from the Exeter City AFC coaches + Player visits etc, etc. It might be surprising what response you get from that. :)

I figure that certainly on the ticket side of things it wouldn't actually cost the club much as we aren't selling out ticket wise anyway.
Certainly a good idea and possibly something to look at in future once we've got the scheme off the ground and ironed out any teething problems.

Andy

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster

That's a brilliant idea.

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
All seems very tinpot to me.

All seems very tinpot to me.
I'm not sure if you are playing on the 'pun' here and if not I can see where you are coming from, if we had an owner with proper funds I would agree with you but in our case I think we have to do whatever we can to bring money into the club however small those funds might be in the grand scheme of things. TBH my thinking was that you might get some knock on marketing benefits from press picking it up i.e. the Echo, Western Morning News etc, but more importantly you get access to the kids of the area and the opportunity to get them involved in 'their' football club at a young age which will hopefully encourage them to want to come and watch on a Saturday.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
I bet if I turned up with a bunch of cans on a matchday the stewards would say "you aint coming in here with them".

On a side note, how about the club sell cans of drink rather than plastic bottles. (y)

I do hate all this fundraising stuff though, 45000 cans to raise £400, I just think why should I bother when the current players and staff can't be bothered and they rinse the club of all he cash.

Chuckles

Can tthe proceeds be used to pay off Tisdale