Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Last band you saw live

Re: Last band you saw live

Hold the Sun.

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing the truth but still believing the lies!!!!

Friday 23rd Aug 2013

Something Nasty In The Wood Shed
    Blue Rose Code
    Blue Horyzon
    Nic Jones Trio
    Nidi d'arac
    Steve Knightley
    Afro Celt Sound System

Saturday 24th August 2013

Eddi Reader (twice)
    ColvinQuarmby
    Blue Rose Code
    Tim O'Brien Band
    Lady Maisery
    Nidi d'arac
    Martyn Joseph
    Oysterband

Sunday 25th August 2013

Barnstar
    Elbow Jane
    Blue Horyzon
    Jinski
    James Riley
    Carolina Chocolate Drops
    Doyle & Debbie

Monday 26th August 2013

Elbow Jane
    Jez Lowe
    Mark Erelli
    Grimaldi Band
    The Be Good Tanyas
    Capercaillie

All at the Shrewsbury Folk Festival amidst much Moonshine Cider, we took a 20 ltr keg, + various other delightful Ciders; from the beer tent, the Black Dragon was a particular favourite from this reveller, hic

Banned

mmmmm..."Folf Festival" says it all..

John Cooper Clarke is boring apart from the odd 'poem' and to be avoided.

People who like him are arrogant, Leftie, Middle Class To55ers.

I prefer Pam Ayres!
    Last edited by Dylan; 07 September 2013 at 18:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lion View Post
    One of my mates is raving about John Cooper Clarke being in Torrington soon! Quite fancy it! (but may have happened already!)
    Tis the happening place at the moment.Feck knows why.

Banned

'cos Torrington is the only place in Mid/Norh Devon with no Kiddie Fiddler on a Charge?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUSA View Post
    Nothing wrong with Martha Reeves.
    I never said there was. Second only to the Supremes in their field, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    mmmmm..."Folf Festival" says it all..

John Cooper Clarke is boring apart from the odd 'poem' and to be avoided.

People who like him are arrogant, Leftie, Middle Class To55ers.

I prefer Pam Ayres!
    Can't put up much of an argument about JCC, can't actually remember any of his 'work' but can do a convincing imitation of him. (Like an early Manchester sound/We're oop for it/etc)

Guessing 'folf' means 'folk, please yourself, but I would say don't diss it. GIE saw Eddie Reader twice? Sounds great to me! My 13 year old son was christened James Riley so on a selfish level would love to hear more about that.

And I started this thread (don't get me wrong, not my idea but the original didn't survive the Exeweb cull) because the completely fabulous Skimmity Hitchers were at Burnham folk festival!
    Last edited by Red Lion; 07 September 2013 at 22:24. Reason: ps, anyone going to see The Damned at the Phoenix later this month?

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing the truth but still believing the lies!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lion View Post
    Can't put up much of an argument about JCC, can't actually remember any of his 'work' but can do a convincing imitation of him. (Like an early Manchester sound/We're oop for it/etc)

Guessing 'folf' means 'folk, please yourself, but I would say don't diss it. GIE saw Eddie Reader twice? Sounds great to me! My 13 year old son was christened James Riley so on a selfish level would love to hear more about that.

And I started this thread (don't get me wrong, not my idea but the original didn't survive the Exeweb cull) because the completely fabulous Skimmity Hitchers were at Burnham folk festival!
    Only the blinkered diss something they know absolutely nothing about. Their loss!! The suits have them, where they want them, under their control!!

A lot of the acts I took in, were actually classed as 'Blues' & 'Bluegrass' AKA 'Roots Music', and without 'Roots Music' there wouldn't be any of the other genres!!

Eddi Reader was fabulous, she did an afternoon matinee on main stage 2, and a different set (such is her back catalogue) on main stage 1 in the evening, I even had the time to be nearly run over by her, as she left her sound check in the afternoon, heading for the main stage to do her sound check there, now there's a claim to fame

James Riley Band were very good, guess some of their tracks you could class as a Blues Folk Fusion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb8L0QyAqX4 oh and that strange looking instrument rabbit, it's called a 'cello'!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzIXS35JwDI

They were there in 2012 too, and this other strange instrument you see on this 'Live' video, is a 'violin'!! Rabbit. So much more to music than guitar, bass & drums!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwFtbPrdj0k

Discovery of the festival for me were Nidi d'arac, so good we saw them twice too!! Great roots fusion band from Italy, didn't matter that they didn't sing in English, why would they, they're Italian ffs!! A cross between Afro Celt Sound System & what 'The Legend' that is 'Robert Plant' is doing these days!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMYIWyVveVM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCjHzAVSoxQ Accordion Rabbit!! or AKA 'squeezebox'

Don't suppose you tried the Mulberry Duck beer at the festival G_I_W? It's a mate's brewery, he tells me that a phenominal amount of beer was necked that weekend.

Incidentally, just so you know what you missed out on, here's CVB playing their hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV9pw...k5kanOvBgw0fhw

I'm stood right behind the bloke filming. You can probably hear me singing along.