• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Trust

mdg

Having just received a reminder from the Trust, suggesting that I might wish to renew my membership,and confirming that the Trust has a controlling interest.I just want to ask the question- why do the Trust only have 2 representatives sitting on the main club board?

NB- all this information comes from the Trust leaflet enclosed with the letter.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think, and I am thick so I only think. There's the trust board, in the main they're a sort of **** version of a wi they do loads of work in the community that no one knows about. Then there the club board that do all things City! They just do it really badly and seemingly get away with it as they don't tell the trust half of the things they do, when they do and the trust don't like it they cajole the trust into agreeing.

In short, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Having just received a reminder from the Trust, suggesting that I might wish to renew my membership,and confirming that the Trust has a controlling interest.I just want to ask the question- why do the Trust only have 2 representatives sitting on the main club board?

NB- all this information comes from the Trust leaflet enclosed with the letter.
When the Trust first took over the football club following the Russell and Lewis era, the entire board was made up of Trust representatives. Later, when things became relatively more stable (and it was mainly as a result of Paul Morrish's "V10" plan in 2006), something like the current board structure was set up although, until Chorlton was appointed Chairman, the Chairman was always also the Chairman of the Trust. In 2010, on the appointment of Chorlton as an "independent Chairman with gravitas", the Trust continued to have two representatives.

At one time the Supporters Club also had a director on the club board (effectively making 3 "fans directors" on the board). The club board removed that position late in 2011, effectively leaving the 2x Trust representatives that we have today.

angelic upstart

Peter, can you tell me who voted for Chorlton to be chairman and why the club board removed the supporters club representative please?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Peter, can you tell me who voted for Chorlton to be chairman and why the club board removed the supporters club representative please?
Of course AU. The decision to seek an "independent Chairman" was a joint Trust and Club Board decision as far as I recall. The Trust Board (BoS) subsequently ratified the appointment for a period of 3 years and, as I am sure you already know, ratified that appointment again for a further 3 years from January this year.

As regards the Supporters Club director, the post had been filled by Roger Hamilton-Kendall for a good few years and he decided to step down in 2011. The Club Board (citing their stated aim of seeking to appoint directors with "specific skills") subsequently decided that they would not fill the vacancy created by Roger's resignation.

Hope that clarifies?

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
So, who was the Director with 'specific skills' that was appointed instead?

Pete Martin (CTID)

So, who was the Director with 'specific skills' that was appointed instead?
I don't think there ever was a direct replacement per se Rae, although I think that James Forsyth (who is a lawyer) was appointed about that time.

And then of course Laurence Overend, the Trust Chairman, became a club director and he is also a lawyer (belt and braces?)

LOG

James Forsyth was re-elected earlier this year so his original appointment was presumably in 2010.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I don't think there ever was a direct replacement per se ...
Quite. I rather fancy your ending of the earlier post with 'subsequently decided that they would not fill the vacancy' should have provided me with a clue, ahem.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I am sure though if the supporters club gave them the right man for what they were looking for they would still have a representative on the Board....