• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Omelettes

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
The humble omelette, tasty, versatile and quick.

However, it seems that i wasn't brought into the world to make them as they always end in pile of eggy, slightly tasteless bits rather like on the tv when they come out of the pan in one go and slide on to the plate. What am i doing wrong?

manc grecian

*lurks*

*The one thing I can't cook properly.

Swanaldo

Don't be afraid of the seasoning, and don't muck about with it once it's in the pan. Finish under the grill.

Grecian2K

To beat or not to beat?
That is the question.

fred binneys head

Always cook in butter, never add milk, always cook on a low heat. Can't go wrong if you follow those rules.

LOG

See, i'm getting confused now. Delia says don't beat, Jamie says beat. Delia says high heat, Jamie and FBH say low heat, then Swanny comes along and puts the grill on!

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
It depends whether you're talking about a traditional flip over type omelette or a spanish tortilla type one. I could take or leave the former, but the latter is worthwhile. 2 or 3 eggs (beaten) chucked over your preferred filling, finish under grill because they're thick and the middle never sets properly, and then you can also chuck cheese on the top. Yum.

LOG

Alright showoff :p

I need to learn to crawl before attempting to moonwalk. The only thing i can think of may be my choice of pan, but that doesn't explain the blandness (and i've tried tablespoons of salt and pepper).

fred binneys head

Listen to me and Jamie, ignore "where are you?", slurry, senile old Delia.

StroudGrecian

Always cook in butter, never add milk, always cook on a low heat. Can't go wrong if you follow those rules.
Rubbish.

Whisk your eggs up with a fork. Heat sunflower oil in a frying pan until it's smoking hot - literally! - then pour in your mixture, shuffle it about a bit to get as much as possible in contact with the pan, then turn the heat right down and cover. If you want cheese, chuck it on top before covering.

That, my friends, is how to make a perfect omelette.

Actually fred's right about never adding milk - that's for scrambled eggs.

Last edited: