• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of my favourite threads - just wish the original author resubmitted it.

Katyn Massacre by Louis Fitzgibbon

This book tells of how in 1943 the German army occupying the Soviet Union found the bodies 4,143 Polish army officers in mass graves in the Katyn forest near Smolensk. Still in their uniforms, all had their hands bound behind their backs - and each had bullet entry wound in the base of the skull.

The author examines coolly and impartially, the facts of this appalling crime and the conclusions to which they inexorably lead. He doesn't shrink from the attribution of guilt.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sweet dreams Stuffy.

Alistair20000

One of my favourite threads - just wish the original author resubmitted it.

Katyn Massacre by Louis Fitzgibbon

This book tells of how in 1943 the German army occupying the Soviet Union found the bodies 4,143 Polish army officers in mass graves in the Katyn forest near Smolensk. Still in their uniforms, all had their hands bound behind their backs - and each had bullet entry wound in the base of the skull.

The author examines coolly and impartially, the facts of this appalling crime and the conclusions to which they inexorably lead. He doesn't shrink from the attribution of guilt.
Is that the same incident that runs through the film "Enigma" Stuffers ?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sweet dreams Stuffy.
I slept well enough after a fine meal in a Gurkha restaurant here in Swindon, Fred. It's only later after your head hits the pillow, and after you've briefly mulled over the days events that you begin to ponder as to what was going through those soldiers minds as they filed towards the pit.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is that the same incident that runs through the film "Enigma" Stuffers ?
I haven't seen the film to be able to answer your query Al. I'll comb through Swindon's second hand DVD shops and try and locate it to find out.

May I suggest you try Googling "Katyn Massacre." You might unearth the answers there.

Early Bath

"Slow Cooking Just for Yourself", By Catherine Atkinson. Down loaded to my Kindle & Android.
Just the job for my newly purchased slow cook pot!
Not exactly bed time reading, but there, I go to bed to sleep not read books!

StroudGrecian

Dark Fire - C.J. Sansom

crocks

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett.....cracking little tale!

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lancaster Target - Jack Currie

The author was the skipper of a Lancaster bomber flying out of RAF Wickenby, Lincolnshire. Full of stories like the time the mid upper gunner was denied permission to leave his turret after he poo'd himself, or the Canadian rear gunner who said to the Queen, "yes ma'am it sure scared the **** out of me."

Easily the best book I've read about Bomber Command operations during World War Two.

StroudGrecian

The sense of an ending - Julian Barnes

Hasn't mentioned Tisdale yet [y]