• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Leads

His dive for Brentfords goal at Leeds earlier this season was almost as bad. Live on tv in the marquee at Yeovil.
As I thought. Hardly surprising that the Leeds fans don’t like him then Andrew P Long- just because they were known as Dirty Leeds almost 50 years ago now, doesn’t mean they aren’t allowed to condem cheating in 2019. I’m sure there have been Exeter teams/players who haven’t exactly obeyed the laws of the game, but we can still criticise Tim Sills. Trying to steer slightly back on track- it’s a shame Watkins has added this to his game.

Stelios

As I thought. Hardly surprising that the Leeds fans don’t like him then Andrew P Long- just because they were known as Dirty Leeds almost 50 years ago now, doesn’t mean they aren’t allowed to condem cheating in 2019. I’m sure there have been Exeter teams/players who haven’t exactly obeyed the laws of the game, but we can still criticise Tim Sills. Trying to steer slightly back on track- it’s a shame Watkins has added this to his game.
Football fans are idiots. Leeds are no exception. The day 'spy scandal' Leeds try to claim any sort of moral high ground is the day irony dies.

Kemar Roofe refuses to apologise for handball equaliser in Leeds' draw with Nottingham Forest

That doesn't mean Watkins should not be criticised for diving, of course.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
All true, of course. But I saw Leeds a fair bit in the late 60s / early 70s while supporting Palace as a kid, before coming to Exeter, and going to other London grounds alternative weeks. They were in fact, as a neutral, no worse than the rest of the old First Division. West Ham were arguably the ditiest, despite the hype over Moore and Hurst, with Bonds and co notorious hackers, while Chelsea were no saints - Hollins brothers, Hinton, then Webb. And I believe Leeds scored more goals per game than anyone else in that period - their front 5 of Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles and Gray was formidable.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
All true, of course. But I saw Leeds a fair bit in the late 60s / early 70s while supporting Palace as a kid, before coming to Exeter, and going to other London grounds alternative weeks. They were in fact, as a neutral, no worse than the rest of the old First Division. West Ham were arguably the ditiest, despite the hype over Moore and Hurst, with Bonds and co notorious hackers, while Chelsea were no saints - Hollins brothers, Hinton, then Webb. And I believe Leeds scored more goals per game than anyone else in that period - their front 5 of Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles and Gray was formidable.
Wot no Chopper Harris?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
.....and his brother Alan.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wot no Chopper Harris?
My bad, Harris Brothers. John Hollins was positively cultured in comparison. Also Eddie McCreadie. Osgood and Houseman could do a good kick on the knee when the ref wasn't looking, too. But most teams were thugs in modern terms. Burnley kicked Steve Kember all over the pitch one game, I recall. Palace werent perfect either, e.g. Gerry Queen: "Queen in brawl at Palace" was a genuine headline.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I went to two London games close together over Christmas when I was a teenager.

One was Chelsea - Southampton.

At one point a Southampton player had done well to get past two Chelsea midfielders and run towards goal. No one in the crowd was worried because they could see Chopper Harris ready to take him out about 5 yards from the box to loud cheers. No attempt for the ball and nothing from the ref apart from one of those sarcastic 'ah bless!' looks.

In keeping with this thread, the other game was Spurs - Crystal Palace. As a Palace player took a corner near to where I was I said 'oh hello sir!'. It was Alan Pinkney who'd played for City and briefly taught me at school. I hadn't realised that he was at Palace so it was a surprise to both of us. He laughed, wished me well and took the corner (which unfortunately was safely dealt with).

Last edited:

David Treharne

As a Palace player took a corner near to where I was I said 'oh hello sir!'. It was Alan Pinkney who'd played for City and briefly taught me at school. I hadn't realised that he was at Palace so it was a surprise to both of us. He laughed, wished me well and took the corner (which unfortunately was safely dealt with).
Just to complete the circle, Alan Pinkney and Julian Tagg were at College together. The stories we could tell...……….

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I went to two London games close together over Christmas when I was a teenager.

One was Chelsea - Southampton.

At one point a Southampton player had done well to get past two Chelsea midfielders and run towards goal. No one in the crowd was worried because they could see Chopper Harris ready to take him out about 5 yards from the box to loud cheers. No attempt for the ball and nothing from the ref apart from one of those sarcastic 'ah bless!' looks.

In keeping with this thread, the other game was Spurs - Crystal Palace. As a Palace player took a corner near to where I was I said 'oh hello sir!'. It was Alan Pinkney who'd played for City and briefly taught me at school. I hadn't realised that he was at Palace so it was a surprise to both of us. He laughed, wished me well and took the corner (which unfortunately was safely dealt with).
Currently reading Harry Redknapp’s brilliant book “A Man Walks On To a Pitch”. In it he looks at a selection of players in each decade and commented that in the 60s and 70s a player needed almost to commit murder before he would get sent off.

tonykellowfan