• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Number13

The old former players thread seems to have been lost so I am starting a new one

Just back from Wingate & Finchley where our ex-player Wayne O'Sullivan made two of the goals as they preserved their Ryman Premier status with a 3-2 win. Touch, awareness and set pieces befit a former Pro but he really is tiny, must wear kids boot and still runs with his thumbs up

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
I forgot about him. Came from Arygle didn't he? Was he the same time as Gary Sawyer? Where is Sawyer these days? Always liked him.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
"Let's all run like Wayne-o!"

"The heed"

Sawyer is at Leyton Orient.

Number13

Sawyer is indeed at Orient, and is their regular left back

He might have come from Argyle but there is another Wayne O'Sullivan who also played for them. I think our one started his career at Arsenal and might have come to us straight from them

The player who joined us on loan at the same time as Sawyer was Marcus Martin and he is crrently playing for Truro and has been for 4/5 years now

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I remember Mike Blackstone getting quite confused when we were talking about "young" O'Sullivan, as he thought we had signed the older one.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sawyer is indeed at Orient, and is their regular left back

He might have come from Argyle but there is another Wayne O'Sullivan who also played for them. I think our one started his career at Arsenal and might have come to us straight from them

The player who joined us on loan at the same time as Sawyer was Marcus Martin and he is crrently playing for Truro and has been for 4/5 years now
That's right got you no, Marcus Martin, wasn't hein midfield with Clay for the United game? Jesus what a pairing!

Sawyer always looked a class above when he was here, same as Woodards although he hasn't kicked on as I thought, probably due to his defensive positionining.

Number13

Woodards, like so many modern full backs couldnt defend enough (including positioning) to play right back and wasnt good enough in the final third to play wide right. Best as a wing back but few sides play genuine wing backs.

And yes, MM played with Clay in the Utd games. Clay is, I believe, at Weymouth having played also at Salisbury, Tivvy and Dorchester since leaving us.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If you're interested in former players, how about working out who is who in this E&E article...
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Exeter-City-legends/story-18803399-detail/story.html

Is that Rightwing from Exeweb next to Banks?

Last edited:

jimbo-gould

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The stupid thing was Brighton fans berating him for not running around kicking people. Which would be a bit like us slagging off Danny Coles for not dribbling the length of the pitch, 'megging 6 players along the way.