Page 116 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1279

Thread: Manager Thread redux

Re: Manager Thread redux

Looking at West Spam’s next 8 fixtures thru to 31 December his tenure might be a short one.

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at SJP

Looks like Pardew is going to get another premier league job & Allardyce possibly to Everton too....it's so predictable and boring when the same managers just get job after job regardless of success elsewhere

Pardew is going to get his 4th premier league job , Charlton , West Ham & Newcastle and now WBA - this bloke must interview well

Couldn’t agree more Creds. The same dreadful managers getting dreadful results at dreadful clubs then moving on a year later to do the same somewhere else. Plenty of young English managers in the Championship - why not give them a go? Looking at Pulis, Pardew and Allardyce’s recent records they literally couldn’t do any worse.

Why not give them a go? Because there is too much money riding on such a gamble. Maybe at the start of the season, but now it is all about digging these clubs out of trouble. At this rate, Allardyce is guaranteed six month‘s work every season.

Sorry state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Exe on Valdez View Post
    Why not give them a go? Because there is too much money riding on such a gamble. Maybe at the start of the season, but now it is all about digging these clubs out of trouble. At this rate, Allardyce is guaranteed six month‘s work every season.

Sorry state of affairs.
    Thing is, it isn’t a gamble though. The managers I’ve listed above are pretty much failures wherever they go with hardly a trophy between them after decades of experience (combined) behind them. Had they stayed at their respective clubs it’s pretty much guaranteed they’d have relegated them so where’s the gamble in employing an untried manager from the lower divisions? He literally could not do worse than an almost guaranteed relegation (and, I’d suggest, cost an awful lot less than a ‘name’) so why not take that leap of faith?

I know it’s at a different level and that it’s a whole different stratosphere with the amount of money involved but we did it with Tisdale from a number of divisions below us so what’s the difference with West Brom, West Ham or even Everton and Newcastle doing the same? Unless they have dillusions of grandeur and think their too big and too important not to have a ‘name’.

As you say, a sorry state of affairs.

The problem is, the fans clamour for a "name", and there seems to be a bit of a feeling that only a "name" can handle the mediocre talent and massive salaries and egos that come with running a middling Premier League club.

So the choices are three types: An old school no nonsense type (Allardyce, 'Arry, Colin W etc.), someone with an exotic sounding name who worked with Jose Mourinho for a few weeks, or someone who once played for Man United.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    So the choices are three types: An old school no nonsense type (Allardyce, 'Arry, Colin W etc.), someone with an exotic sounding name who worked with Jose Mourinho for a few weeks, or someone who once played for Man United.
    Haha - so true!

However I expect West Ham fans would have taken anyone before Moyes - fancy making an entire career out of achieving nothing but longevity at Everton.

Delusions of grandeur is just it. These people believe the hype and think that experience managing in the Prem is the only thing that counts. We know that is not the case, but while they continue to think that way they will be searching from a short list of candidates. The bookies know this and that is why the same names keep coming up as soon as there is a vacancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Haha - so true!

However I expect West Ham fans would have taken anyone before Moyes - fancy making an entire career out of achieving nothing but longevity at Everton.
    On the contrary, a mate of mine, a big West Ham fan, was delighted with the appointment of Moyes. I *think* he has the distinction of the highest win %age of any Man United manager over the equivalent number of games. Lost his way in Spain and took on a massive poisoned chalice at Sunderland.

I can't believe that Tim Sherwood hasn't been given another chance somewhere yet