Page 711 of 743 FirstFirst ... 211611661701709710711712713721 ... LastLast
Results 7,101 to 7,110 of 7425

Thread: Little things that annoy you

Does me smock go well with Lionelís merkin ?

Re: Little things that annoy you

Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    Salt not so good for your health, Ali....(nutricians say, although 10 years from now they might say it is)
    Lots of things are supposed to be bad for us but I donít take a lot of notice and eat what I like.

I could not cook or eat without salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    Even if that’s the case - and I’m not convinced it is - the law remains the same. That’s to say, if the sum they’re trying to charge you bears no connection to the costs they’ve incurred as a result of your parking misdemeanours then it has no legal basis and the claim should be dismissed. At the same time, if your case is one of those which is pursued to court and you don’t have your legal arguments well rehearsed it’s not inconceivable the claim might be successful.

I’m interested to know, do you have some first-hand experience of this and, if so, would you care to elaborate on exactly what happened?
    And I’m equally fascinated to hear of your recent tales of overstaying your parking time and successfully challenging tickets. I’m sure you must have many stories of sticking it to the parking man if you’re still not convinced on ending up in court, especially as you’re able to quote the law chapter and verse on what constitutes a breach of parking regs.

Seriously though, look on motoring forums, there are plenty of instances of parking companies not letting it go just because people don’t respond to letters. Having said all that, I’m not prepared to take the chance either way but if you think the law’s on your side knock yourself out and report your triumphs back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair20000 View Post
    Lots of things are supposed to be bad for us but I donít take a lot of notice and eat what I like.

Yes, Ali. I'm torn between being a good boy and cutting out the (allegedly) unhealthy food and having all the yummy food that I love : cheese, butter, cream cakes, potatoes, rice, any kind of meat (including goat meat) etc etc etc. I'm afraid I'm too weak to limit myself to the vegan/veggie menu.
    Last edited by IndoMike; 13 January 2018 at 11:23.

Lots of things are supposed to be bad for us but I don’t take a lot of notice and eat what I like.

Everything in moderation!

Quote Originally Posted by Hants_red View Post
    Everything in moderation!
    You cannot have too much of some things Hants

P.S. Hope you enjoy the Zermatt scene, but in moderation.
    Last edited by Alistair20000; 13 January 2018 at 12:09.

You cannot have too much of some things Hants

P.S. Hope you enjoy the Zermatt scene, but in moderation.
    Exeweb needs a tongue in cheek smilie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hants_red View Post
    Exeweb needs a tongue in cheek smilie.
    Maybe so sort it then Hants !

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    And I’m equally fascinated to hear of your recent tales of overstaying your parking time and successfully challenging tickets. I’m sure you must have many stories of sticking it to the parking man if you’re still not convinced on ending up in court, especially as you’re able to quote the law chapter and verse on what constitutes a breach of parking regs.
    The only parking ticket I've had in the last few years was for parking in one of the residents' spaces below the old grandstand in Well Street when I was late to a game. It's not something I'd normally do, but it wasn't in term time and the streets were deserted. It was a fair cop and I'd have taken my medicine, but someone saw fit to remove the penalty notice from my car and the first I knew about it was when I got a letter from Exeter City Council asking for double what the original fee would have been. I did a bit of research, spotted some irregularities in their paperwork and, while they turned down my appeal, it was upheld by the national appeal body.

Appreciate that's a bit different to a penalty charge from a private company, but that's my only experience in recent years. Eight or nine years ago I was clamped by Premier Parking Solutions in the car park, which is now a Holiday Inn, by the court. Clearly, I had no option but to pay. I appealed to PPS and, predictably, my appeal was turned down. I made a court claim – PPS were operating contrary to various laws - and got my money back. Given the relatively small amount involved, it probably didn't warrant the considerable effort I put into the court claim but it became a point of principle.

Seriously though, look on motoring forums, there are plenty of instances of parking companies not letting it go just because people don’t respond to letters. Having said all that, I’m not prepared to take the chance either way but if you think the law’s on your side knock yourself out and report your triumphs back here.
    As I've said, I'm sure there are plenty of instances of parking companies not letting go just because people don't respond to letters. However, a quick bit of Googling brings up a Guardian article which puts the figure for cases pursued to court at less than five per cent.

To be clear, I think there are plenty of instances where penalty charges are entirely legitimate and stories such as this one really annoy me:

http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-...ng-fine-941902

Equally, there are plenty of occasions when private parking companies act unscrupulously and if I felt I was the victim of an injustice I'd be very happy to let them take me to court. As I said, they rely on the fact that the majority of people will be cowered into paying up.

As an aside, if anyone does question the legitimacy of a parking charge notice they've been given, I'd suggest the Consumer Action Group forums are a great place to seek out more information:

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...ed-Aug-2016***
    Last edited by Egg; 13 January 2018 at 13:26.

A quick bit of googling brings up a Guardian article. You really are the gift that just keeps giving Egg.

A quick bit of googling brings up a Guardian article. You really are the gift that just keeps giving Egg.
    Lame-ass attempts at put-downs by people who have clearly lost an argument.