Page 236 of 241 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 2404

Thread: Things you dont see anymore

Re: Things you dont see anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile-88 View Post
    New cars with a full size spare wheel...Car gear sticks fitted with a overdrive switch..
    A workmate with a newish Merc SUV says it came with no spare wheel and no puncture kit. They come with run-flat tyres apparently. Call me old fashioned but it's nothing but trouble if you don't have a spare.

Nah, run flats are ace, Grandad.

Quote Originally Posted by fred binneys head View Post
    Noisy and expensive. Gimmicks for gimmicks' sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Wouldn't that type of belt be exempt? I know MOTs don't require retro fitting equipment that was never originally specified or fitted, for example if you run a classic with no rear seat belts then as they were never there in the first place you're not required to fit them, however take your modern Focus in to be tested and you'll fail if they aren't there.
    I recall the law changed around 2005 with lap belts for front seat passengers fitted on older cars that had been imported under SVA(Single Vehicle Approval) a race harness would be fitted to get over the issue which would be unclipped once the car was out of the MOT station I would imagine..It was a confusing issue as a few issues were with older American motors.
    Of course cars of that age do not require a MOT nowadays.

A quirk on the Poncho was the speedometer only went up to 85mph,cars made for the domestic US in 1979-81 had to have that maximum on a speedo until 1982..

Ramone..Nice motor the Gran Torino.

Quote Originally Posted by fred binneys head View Post
    The first car I had with run flats was a Datsun 280zx.Ran on Dunlop Denovos which I believe were the first run flat mass production tyre....I did wonder where the spare was until I read the manual

Quote Originally Posted by Billy The Fish View Post
    A workmate with a newish Merc SUV says it came with no spare wheel and no puncture kit. They come with run-flat tyres apparently. Call me old fashioned but it's nothing but trouble if you don't have a spare.
    It saves the manufacturers hence not fitting it.
    Saying that in the 15 years I've been driving I think I've only had one puncture, plus most people probably don't even know how to change a wheel so there's not a massive amount of point in fitting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    Saying that in the 15 years I've been driving I think I've only had one puncture, plus most people probably don't even know how to change a wheel so there's not a massive amount of point in fitting one.
    The nice RAC man does, though! I agree with Billy about carrying a spare wheel.

Also the slightly reduced weight will have a small impact on MPG & emissions which all car manufactures are sensitive about...

I had a full sized spare on my PUG 508 it got a puncture,but I got the AA to change it.I would not trust a flimsy car jack that was with any car.

Having low profile tyres I've had several flat tyres in the five years I've had my blessed Chevy. One of which was a blowout. Having no spare tyre (I *do* know how to change a wheel!), I had to call the RAC out. The nice man came, enquired as to whether I had a spare tyre or a spacesaver, my reply was that I had a repair kit, which was a fat lot of good considering the tyre was in the nearby bushes, shredded to buggery.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Noisy and expensive. Gimmicks for gimmicks' sake.
    Nah, I’m a fan of the run flat. Means I can fit an extra dead hooker in my boot.