Page 396 of 408 FirstFirst ... 296346386394395396397398406 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,960 of 4076

Thread: What was the last pub you visited...

Re: What was the last pub you visited...

Quote Originally Posted by fred binneys head View Post
    Who was the landlord then, can you remember?
    I'm afraid he was unknown to me. I was in the army then so my time in Exeter was pretty limited. If it's any help, all this happened probably around the middle of 1968.

Last Thursday at noon saw me enter the 'Old Black Horse' in Oxford.

Division 6? I imagine you'd get promoted for being able to tie up your boots properly in that division, wouldn't you?

I mean, congratulations.
    We've all got to start somewhere. That said, last years Devon Intermeadiate Cup winners were in Division 6 as were this years favourites (both went up last year). It's nice to see the club going somewhere on the pitch after years of downturn though.

Quote Originally Posted by grecIAN Harris View Post
    We've all got to start somewhere. That said, last years Devon Intermeadiate Cup winners were in Division 6 as were this years favourites (both went up last year). It's nice to see the club going somewhere on the pitch after years of downturn though.
    I completely agree and apologise for taking the **** - genuine congratulations for what I hope will soon be your achievement and good luck in division 5 next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffy View Post
    I'm afraid he was unknown to me. I was in the army then so my time in Exeter was pretty limited. If it's any help, all this happened probably around the middle of 1968.
    That's well before my time then granddad

I spent time there in the 80's.

Spent a leisurely Sunday afternoon and early evening showing Junior the pubs of Hampstead Village. First stop the Hollybush, hidden away up a flight of stone steps on Heath St, a hidden gem and a Fullers pub. Well kept beers, and the food being eaten all around us looked great, making us regret the platefuls of bacon baps we had gorged on before setting out ! Next stop The Flask in Flask Walk, a Young's establishment, and again the food looked good, and a far cry from the Pie and Chips etc, when I lunched there in the 80's.

Then the Well Tavern (Greene King), and finally the Horseshoe (Camden Brewery), who have turned it into a bleddy awful "pub/kitchen" where the cheapest pint on offer was 5.90p ! Driven out after a jazz duo started up, the final straw being a murderous rendition of Summertime ! Only consolation is at least they have kept the Pub Theatre upstairs !

Anyway at least Junior, who is new to London, has a few more options to impress his American girlfriend with, when she and some mates come over to stay later this month.

Re the Rusty Bike, in it's Eagle Tavern days wasn't Tony Kellow the Landlord there for a spell, either before or after managing The Centre Spot ?

Quote Originally Posted by Colesman Ballz View Post
    Spent a leisurely Sunday afternoon and early evening showing Junior the pubs of Hampstead Village. First stop the Hollybush, hidden away up a flight of stone steps on Heath St, a hidden gem and a Fullers pub. Well kept beers, and the food being eaten all around us looked great, making us regret the platefuls of bacon baps we had gorged on before setting out ! Next stop The Flask in Flask Walk, a Young's establishment, and again the food looked good, and a far cry from the Pie and Chips etc, when I lunched there in the 80's.

Then the Well Tavern (Greene King), and finally the Horseshoe (Camden Brewery), who have turned it into a bleddy awful "pub/kitchen" where the cheapest pint on offer was 5.90p ! Driven out after a jazz duo started up, the final straw being a murderous rendition of Summertime ! Only consolation is at least they have kept the Pub Theatre upstairs !

Anyway at least Junior, who is new to London, has a few more options to impress his American girlfriend with, when she and some mates come over to stay later this month.
    The Flask is up the top of the street I lived in when I was a toddler - I've got old cine film of me as a circa 1 year old walking up the hill to there. My cousin lives in a private gated community around the corner from there now.

That's well before my time then granddad
    Thank You Fred, now take your hands out of your pockets and sit up straight.

The Eagle and the Locomotive in those day were, as far as I can remember, were cider pubs where the favourite tipple was Taunton Natural Dry or 'Natch.'

When I was a kid there was a story going around that the Durham Light Infantry, who were stationed at Wyvern barracks, came down in force intending to take over the Locomotive from the Southern Railway lads ... and got soundly beaten up for their troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    My cousin lives in a private gated community around the corner from there now.
    You mean he's in prison?