Page 669 of 692 FirstFirst ... 169569619659667668669670671679 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,690 of 6912

Thread: Last film watched..

Re: Last film watched..

The Lego Batman Movie. Started well with gags and action aplenty but, being aimed at little ones and rather like all kids’ telly, it wasn’t long before the jokes wore off and the relentless childishness began to grate and eventually irritate. In the end I was glad it was the end and at over two hours long that was about an hour too much for the target audience. Disappointing 4/10

Life 2017.
    Very predictable from start to finish.With an ending I could see coming a good way off.
    Maybe I've watched and read too much sci-fi.
    So 6/10 .Wouldn't want to watch it again.

The Hunter's Prayer 2017.
    Hitman hired to kill a young girl ends up protecting her from other killers.
    Plenty of action , quite enjoyed it. 8/10
    Last edited by Banksy; 28 December 2017 at 16:52.

John Wick 2 . 2017
    Didn't enjoy it as much as number one , too much mindless violence for me.Left itself open at the end for yet another sequel which could just be one too many. 5/10

Loads in the last couple of days but new ones to me include:

Wonder Woman. Mainly back story on how she came to be and a bit of a dust up in WW1 with Captain Kirk. Bit too much padding in places (the film, not the delectable Ms Woman) but a good start to her inclusion to the DC universe. Expect to see her in more WW efforts in future. 7/10

Fast and Furious 8. Utter rubbish and other than Tokyo Drift easily the poorest of the franchise, especially with woodener than wood Statham. Don’t understand the point of Tyrese Gibson who’s become more of a clown with each episode or why Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren signed up to give their worst acting performances ever. And if Vin Diesel mentions f***ing family once more - grr! But other than that, like the previous seven, it’s a proper brain out hoot. 6/10,

The Mummy. Tom Cruise as a retriever of archaeological antiquities accidentally discovers a mummy’s tomb and awakens a nasty piece of work intent on world domination or something. Better than the Brendan Fraser efforts and although less comedic not exactly a full on horror, despite a few jump moments. Story rattles along at a reasonable pace and I enjoyed it. 7/10

Dunkirk. Three stories woven into one: the beach, the sea, the air with each story a personal one rather the whole picture. Worked well if you concentrated, and despite knowing the rivet counters gripes it didn’t detract from the overall effectiveness of the film. Thoroughly enjoyable (if that’s the right word) and pretty tense throughout. 9/10.

Spider-Man homecoming. You know what you’re getting by now with the latest Marvel blockbuster and it doesn’t disappoint. Typically too it features other Avengers to tie everything together so far. One thing though: has Robert Downey Jnr been in all of them? Possibly not the first Thor but I’m pretty sure he’s been in all the rest. Whatever, this is as good as the rest. 8/10

Elle: Directed by Paul Verhoeven of Basic Instinct, Showgirls, and Robocop fame, itís not at all what you might expect. The French-language film is less a psychological thriller, more a psychodrama, with plenty of dark humour, about a businesswoman who is brutally raped in her own home by a masked man, but refuses to let the incident define her. Isabelle Huppert gives a riveting performance in the lead role and the fact that, despite the subtitles, I managed to remain awake throughout marks this film out as above the ordinary and definitely worth seeking out on Netflix. Nine out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Logan. SPOILER ALERT: if you haven't yet seen it don't read on, I'll be giving away a number of spoilers (as an aside another forum I regularly visit allows you to 'hide' stuff that's only revealed when you click on the 'spoiler' tag).

Anyways, the story: a curmudgeonly old Logan goes all Mad Max - complete with, to quote Professor Xavier a 'f***ing' albino and attempts to get a young mutant to 'Eden' in the middle of Dakota. Along the way he effs and jeffs to make the film more gritty, and Xavier effs and jeffs too, apparently to show he's a sick old man suffering from Alzheimer's. Fair enough, but I've yet to see an Alzheimer's sufferer yet carry on in that fashion during their moments of lucidity, especially someone like Xavier.

The baddies chasing them are proper double hard mofos, bizarrely though most of them seem have a hand missing. Even more bizarre is that the mad scientist leading the chase to rid the world of naturally born mutants and replace them with genetically engineered ones is the ultra scary Richard E Grant. Ultra scary being as ultra scary as a sapling, which incidentally is about as wooden as his acting is.

The mutant they're trying to protect is annoying beyond words: unconvincingly snarly, and that shrill high pitch scream that only an 11 year old girl can produce when she attacks jars right through to your fillings. Plus she does that annoying film thing of saying stuff in Spanish before repeating it in English so we and Logan know what she's saying. That's not her fault though, but I hate kids in films anyway, invariably they're a pain in the arse and invariably they can't act for toffee.

But eventually they get to Eden for the climax to the film. I was half expecting to see Tina Turner appear and start belting out 'We don't need another hero', but alas that would have been a step too far. But onto the major flaws: the swearing, it's out of context, especially from Xavier, and doesn't really add anything to the film. The mutants, in previous X-Men films we were led to believe there were millions around the world if Xavier's time in Cerebro was to be believed, yet Richard E Grant's managed to track down all but a few? Logan dying, he is, supposedly, hundreds of years old and heals instantly - I don't remember anything in the film that says why this is no longer the case. The grittiness, this is a Marvel superhero film, they're shiny, glitzy, big on effects, big on fights (although to be fair the fights were pretty gory and full on, only to spoilt by the shrill brat's screaming), big on ludicrous weapons. I don't want deep and meaningful, I don't want an angst filled human drama full of Logan and Xavier wringing each other's hands, I want proper action.

And in that respect this fails miserably. The story is poor, the idea behind the story is poor, the acting is trying too hard to be Shakespearean (although the chief baddie with the throat tattoo is pretty cool) and it just isn't Marvel. 4/10
    Rather than write a review of Logan, i will instead say wot he said ^^^

The girl in it was beyond irritating. I found it annoying that all she did was shriek but then when she started talking in her high pitched cartoon voice the annoyance levels went off the scale. For a film i'd hoped for so much from, it was a big disappointment.

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at SJP

Madagascar 3 - Europes most wanted.

Good comedy value - little man loved it

8-10

Just to throw in a counter argument for Logan, I agree it's not very well done, but I believe it was set (way) in the future as a deliberate attempt to both (a) allow Jackman to close out the Wolverine story as I believe he had indicated he wanted to move on to other things, but still (b) allow room for more movies pre-"Logan" so that he can come back and do more in future (and to explain how he and Xavier ended up in the middle of nowhere etc.)

I don't disagree per se with the comments above but just found this interesting as context to the whole thing - it's basically a film out of sequence I guess.