Page 668 of 699 FirstFirst ... 168568618658666667668669670678 ... LastLast
Results 6,671 to 6,680 of 6987

Thread: Last film watched..

If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong !

Re: Last film watched..

Just watched Beyond Skyline in a similar vein to the first film whereby aliens attack earth taking people brains to use in their drone soldiers.

This must have been happening at the same time as the previous film as there was no mention of previous attacks.

Got a bit silly towards the end in a fight scene but at least in some of the fights costumes were used instead of relying on CGI stuff.

Not as good as the first but then follow ups often aren't. 6/10 not worth renting again but ok as a stop gap when nothing else is available.

Collateral Beauty. Following the death of his daughter Will Smith struggles to keep his business running. Fellow directors hatch a plan to employ actors to play Love, Death and Time to visit poor Will and snap him out of his depression. But all is not as it might at first seem, even though it does become pretty obvious what’s going on fairly early in the film. An absolutely uber cast all give decent performances to a decent story. I liked it. 7/10.

John Wick 2. A retired hit man is lured out of retirement to repay a debt, and thus begins a chain of non stop fisticuffs and gun fights. The dialogue is minimal and the action mental. Proper brain out perpetual violence, so not really your Christmas Day with granny type film, but if you enjoyed the first one you’ll equally enjoy this one. 7/10

Battle for Moscow. A band of Russian riflemen dig in to try and hold up the advancing German drive toward Moscow. Very slow build up as the troops build their defenses but the tension builds superbly as the first the German artillery begins then the tanks and infantry advance before the inevitable hand to hand combat. The only downside for me was that it’s in Russian with subtitles (it’s a Russian made film) making it difficult (for me) concentrating on the action while trying to read subtitles at the same tim. A small grumble though 8/10

Quote Originally Posted by Swanaldo View Post
    I was going to say that there had never been any decent TVMs, but then I remembered the version of Stephen King's The Stand (the one with Gary Sinise in) which was pretty good.
    Another good or way beyond good TV movie was Scrooge starring George C Scott. For many a long year the Alastair Sim version reigned supreme, however, the Scott version, backed by an excellent cast now ranks the better in my opinion.

Star Wars the Last Jedi. Thoroughly enjoyed it, not bothered by the change in direction and am eagerly anticipating the next one. 8.5/10.

Hidden Figures. The story of three African American women’s groundbreaking work and struggle for acceptance during the early days of the NASA space programme. Utterly compelling and heartwarming story combined with the utter frustration at the double jeopardy of being black and being a woman in 60s America. Superb and uplifting stuff. 9/10

Dunkirk 2017.
    Not bad , said it how it was I guess.Mostly very young actors , guess you tend to forget that most of the soldiers on that beach weren't mature Dicky Attenborough types with posh voices and stiff upper lips ,as in the older type war films , but young eighteen year olds barely out of school.I did find Hans Zimmer's music score grated after a bit.
    7/10

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at SJP

Home alone (the best Xmas film) !

10/10

Cracker

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Moxey View Post
    Hidden Figures. The story of three African American women’s groundbreaking work and struggle for acceptance during the early days of the NASA space programme. Utterly compelling and heartwarming story combined with the utter frustration at the double jeopardy of being black and being a woman in 60s America. Superb and uplifting stuff. 9/10
    Totally agree with Ant's Synopsis, Watched this a while back after Mrs said she wanted to watch it, Did sigh a bit as never heard of it but really glad i did, Not only an insight to NASA's early days but an insight on how black Americans were treated at that time with racial tensions high, Plus being women and at that time only good for typing, clerical work and making tea this was a great film about acceptance, Really recommend it too