• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City and the Sport of Kings

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Firstly, I appreciate that, technically, this post probably belongs elsewhere. However, given it's Exeter City related and, moreover, I'm trying to gauge interest for something it would be really helpful if, in the first instance at least, it was allowed to remain here.

I know a good few City fans are big racing fans and have wondered for some time whether an 'Exeter City Racing Club' might have some legs. Quite by chance myself and a former Trust chair started talking racing on Twitter yesterday so I took the opportunity to mention the idea to him; he said he'd be all for it, so thought I'd mention it here and see what the response was.

To be clear, at this point this is no more than a vague notion, but it's an area in which I have a bit of background and would happily sit down with others to explore further if it looked like there might be sufficient interest to make it a goer.

Essentially, were this to get off the ground, I'd see it as, primarily, a social thing, whereby we'd seek to lease a horse from a local trainer which would sport red, white, and black silks at courses across the SW. There'd be a regular newsletter for members, as well as the opportunity to watch the horse in action, and regular stable visits. I'd like to think it might also be possible to stage events such as, say, a Cheltenham Festival preview evening off the back of this.

As I've said, this is all top-off-the-head stuff at this stage, but I'd have thought if we could get 100-odd people willing to pay £5 to £10 per week then this might have some legs.

Clearly, all thoughts welcome; and do, please, feel free to share this post on GNET, Exeter City Facebook pages, or anywhere else you think it might be of interest.

Up the City!
Egg

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Neither a horse lover nor racegoer, but would fully endorse and support this idea Egg. I suspect that here are many people who would be interested and I think your plan has legs (four of them, actually). Will promulgate the idea.

IndoMike

Neither a horse lover nor racegoer, but would fully endorse and support this idea Egg. I suspect that here are many people who would be interested and I think your plan has legs (four of them, actually). Will promulgate the idea.
No problem with this very good idea, but could be a future headache for the organizer regarding the financial side (people dropping out, not coughing up etc.)

Last edited:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
No problem with this very good idea, but could be a future headache for the organizer regarding the financial side (people dropping out, not coughing up etc.)
Absolutely, point taken. But, then again, this is an issue faced by all racing clubs, and there are plenty of them these days, so I don't think it need be insurmountable. At the same time, if this idea where to get off the ground then, clearly, this is an area which would have to be given serious thought.

IndoMike

Absolutely, point taken. But, then again, this is an issue faced by all racing clubs, and there are plenty of them these days, so I don't think it need be insurmountable. At the same time, if this idea where to get off the ground then, clearly, this is an area which would have to be given serious thought.
Not a racing fanatic, but it's always a good day out at the races and sounds a good idea. if I lived in UK I would join.

dontpassback

Not a racing fan,but could have legs,so in my book a good idea,however after the distinct lack of thoroughbreds gracing the SJP surface the take up maybe slow !(plenty of old nags on show though:D)

Antony Moxey

Sounds like a good idea and something a bit different, however £20-40 per month seems a bit steep to me.

Alistair20000

Having owned racehorses in their past I would just make the point that every penny you put in should be regarded as lost. Unless you are very lucky there will be no return on your investment. Also be ready for a lot of disappointments with injuries and ailments.

You will probably need £50k to buy the beast and have it in training for one year. A bit less for leasing a horse. Would be good to get the team players involved too.

All that said, I think this is an idea that is well worth following up for the reasons Egg summarises.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Having owned racehorses in their past I would just make the point that every penny you put in should be regarded as lost. Unless you are very lucky there will be no return on your investment. Also be ready for a lot of disappointments with injuries and ailments.

You will probably need £50k to buy the beast and have it in training for one year. A bit less for leasing a horse. Would be good to get the team players involved too.

All that said, I think this is an idea that is well worth following up for the reasons Egg summarises.
I'd wholeheartedly endorse your view that this should not be looked upon as a money-making exercise, but rather as something which could, touch wood, be a lot of fun for a group of City fans.

Certainly, in the first instance at least, was thinking in terms of leasing rather than buying; the latter option is something which could, perhaps, be explored a few years down the road were this to take off.

Al, given your experience in the field, would be good if I could pencil your name in as someone who might be willing to discuss this further over a pint or two, assuming, that is, you're agreeable.

Alistair20000

I'd wholeheartedly endorse your view that this should not be looked upon as a money-making exercise, but rather as something which could, touch wood, be a lot of fun for a group of City fans.

Certainly, in the first instance at least, was thinking in terms of leasing rather than buying; the latter option is something which could, perhaps, be explored a few years down the road were this to take off.

Al, given your experience in the field, would be good if I could pencil your name in as someone who might be willing to discuss this further over a pint or two, assuming, that is, you're agreeable.
Yes very happy to be involved with this.

Not sure that it works these days but a good model that the Pipe stable used to apply was to buy something out of a seller or claimed off the flat which was ready to run over hurdles pretty well straight away. The problem down here in the SW is that we have a lot of top stables with expensive horses making the novice hurdles very competitive indeed.