• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Grimsby Town prediction thread

Legohead

Banned
Another tough looking home game coming up and if the Vale defeat was somewhat unexpected, i wouldn't at all be surprised to see the codheads head back up to North Lincs with all 3 points should the Stockley / Reid partnership be kept in tact. The only positive is that the Mariners have failed to score in 4 of their last 6 league games and again in the cup down at argiggles at the weekend so if we can get ahead then there's a good chance we could stay ahead.

I'm struggling to see how we can win games lately against tougher, better quality opposition so i'm going for a 0-0 presuming Reid / Stockley start.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to note also is that Grimsby are playing tonight in the EFL Trophy, which may mean a few slightly more tired legs than ours come Saturday.

Legohead

Banned
One thing to note also is that Grimsby are playing tonight in the EFL Trophy, which may mean a few slightly more tired legs than ours come Saturday.
Good point Jason. Better for us.

On that game tonight (Grimsby v Sunderland U23) it must be a soul destroying match to play in as neither team can now qualify so it's a dead rubber. Surely a game in which both sets of players, managers, club owners and supporters would much rather just have it cancelled and not play the game as it's completely pointless. A dead rubber is one thing but when it's a night game in the checkatrade against an U23 side then it's the dead rubber of all dead rubbers! :D

Last edited:

Ashford Grecian

Comfy 2-0 home win (Sorry Les ;) )

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I expect a very scrappy tense game with us just edging it 2-1

godisagrecian

1-1. Stockley opens the scoring in the second half before a late equalizer for the Mariners. 3900 in attendance.

Matt Russell

Good point Jason. Better for us.

On that game tonight (Grimsby v Sunderland U23) it must be a soul destroying match to play in as neither team can now qualify so it's a dead rubber. Surely a game in which both sets of players, managers, club owners and supporters would much rather just have it cancelled and not play the game as it's completely pointless. A dead rubber is one thing but when it's a night game in the checkatrade against an U23 side then it's the dead rubber of all dead rubbers! :D
It's an outcome that can occur in any group staged competition though isn't it? World Cup, European Championships, Champions League and Europa Cup. I've never heard suggestions that these be cancelled.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see that PC Dean Whitestone who reffed the home P/O against Carlisle will be swapping his truncheon for the whistle.

No pre match report from Jason including our record with Deano in charge ? ? ?

Legohead

Banned
It's an outcome that can occur in any group staged competition though isn't it? World Cup, European Championships, Champions League and Europa Cup. I've never heard suggestions that these be cancelled.
I'm aware of that but Celtic v Anderlecht for example at a packed Celtic Park in a meaningless Champions League game would be more preferable to be involved in for all parties than Grimsby v Sunderland U23 in the already much maligned and poorly attended anyway Checkatrade Trophy. If you see the point im trying to make?

Furthermore i didn't suggest the game should be cancelled but more that might be the preferred option, certainly for Grimsby Town fans, players, management and owners. If you asked them to answer honestly if they would prefer to have this game staged or cancelled then i'm pretty sure the latter would be the more popular answer.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I see that PC Dean Whitestone who reffed the home P/O against Carlisle will be swapping his truncheon for the whistle.

No pre match report from Jason including our record with Deano in charge ? ? ?
Those happen on Thursdays.