• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Train tickets - help needed please

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hi,

If anyone out there can help I would appreciate it.

I'm thinking of getting the train to exeter on Saturday but a day return from burton on Trent is £110. I've read on here several examples of people who have split up their journey and saved lots of wonga - how do you go about doing this?

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster

Legohead

Banned
Hope you get sorted out Fred. Train fares are ridiculous and they need looking at. I'd just hide in the bogs mate.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
£82.60 is the cheapest I can find, so far.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Have you got a mate with friends and family railcard ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Using the Crosscountry website, I've come up with this.

07.37 Burton to Birmingham New Street. Arr 08:08. £3.80 single. Same price for a single back to Burton.
08:12 Birmingham to Taunton (same train as above). Arr 10:17. £37.50 out and £23.70 back to Birmingham, leaving Taunton at 19.50.
10:18 Tainton to Exeter St Davids arr 10.44. £6.10 and £4.30 back to Taunton on the 19.23 from St Davids.

I think that comes in at £79.20. 3 lots of returns. Their website says there is limited availability on these tickets. I would also suggest that you have seat reservations as these trains can get very busy. However you'll probably have to move seats for each ticket journey.

Shame you don't have a rail card.

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong

fred binneys head

Thanks everyone - I've had a change of plan so can't go now but I'm genuinely touched by the offers of help - thank you.

fred binneys head

By the way I've got a family and friends railcard but I thought you had to travel with a child?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
By the way I've got a family and friends railcard but I thought you had to travel with a child?
Or someone over the age of 5?