• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Balanced Scorecard thread

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
In an extremely optimistic move, I'm treating myself to a 'balanced scorecard thread' which served us geeks, scarfers and plodders so well during various relegation scrapes in years gone by. It's probably not a thread for dramatic outbursts and revolutionary shoutyness, more for having a nose at upcoming fixtures and placing our occasional triumphs (please God let there be some) into context.

Generally, a season of winning, drawing and losing games in equal numbers would create a failed play-off push - e.g. our W18 D10 L18 record in 2012/13 put us tenth, while last year Dagenham and Mansfield were 9th and 11th with a nearly-balanced reocrd of W15 D15 L16.

If we're only interested in avoiding relegation, then we can afford a few wobbly months, but generally we need to be balancing our scorecard most months of the season to stay away from the terrifying end of the table.

So, starting in optimistic mode, there are two immediate targets to get us back on track:

1) Win our two remaining games in August to settle the month with a balanced W2 D1 L2. Geddon!

And / Or

2) Win three of our next four games (three at home and one at Northampton) to bring the season as a whole back into balance.

If that doesn't come off, we can look again at the games in the latter part of September to try to get that month balanced.

I know this is all stating the obvious - wins are good, defeats not helpful - but personally I've found it a good way of smoothing out the bumps in the season, findiong some motivation for midweek games in the depths of winter and generally providing a calming way of writing off an iffy month without setting mad targets for the subsequent games.

So here are the current gloomy numbers. Please please please let's get a W soon...

2014/14 SEASON SO FAR - W0 D1 L2

AUGUST - W0 D1 L2
D Portsmouth h
L Plymouth a
L Burton a
York h
Northampton a

SEPTEMBER
Mansfield h
Oxford h
Cambridge a
Tranmere a
Bury h

Terryhall

Re: The 2014/15 Balanced Scorecard thread

Good thread Al, hopefully this can be an oasis of positivity in amongst the current turbulent times :)

I'll not muddy the waters with my hapless predictions but will concur that to start things moving in the right direction, a win this weekend would be very welcome!

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster

Good thread Al, hopefully this can be an oasis of positivity in amongst the current turbulent times :)

I'll not muddy the waters with my hapless predictions but will concur that to start things moving in the right direction, a win this weekend would be very welcome!
Jeez mate, how can a post that illustrates that we have only taken 1 point from our first 3 games be an oasis of positivity? I accept that it's possible a few palm trees may grow around the desert spring, but at the moment it's as dry as a nuns *****

Last edited:

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster

You've no idea how relieved I am with that point against Pompey! It's very much the jewel in our 14/15 crown :)

Terryhall

Jeez mate, how can a post that illustrates that we have only taken 1 point from our first 3 games be an oasis of positivity? I accept that it's possible a few palm trees may grow around the desert spring, but at the moment it's as dry as a nuns *****
How about the below positive (head in the sand?) ways of looking at it:

1. It could be worse, we could have lost that game as well.
2. We have played 2 of the clear promotion contenders, and a highly motivated local rival out for revenge for last seasons defeats. We won't be playing those kind of matches every week.
3. The point of the "balanced scorecard" is to not overreact to a defeat and to put the single match result into a broader context over the rest of the month / season. Yes we need to get some wins on the board but the concept itself is to look at the bigger picture in a more positive way.

It's not saying we're happy with 1 point from a possible 9 - but more that past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster

He said CAN BE an oasis of positivity! Moan etc...

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster

So, August is going to be a negative, needing a win at Northampton to salvage a point per game.

A draw at Sixfields followed by back-to-back September home wins would get us back on an even keel...

2014/14 SEASON SO FAR - W0 D2 L2

AUGUST - W0 D2 L2
D Portsmouth h
L Plymouth a
L Burton a
D York h
Northampton a

SEPTEMBER
Mansfield h
Oxford h
Cambridge a
Tranmere a
Bury h

Bittners a Legend

To be honest Al if we win at Northampton then I think we've had a great month points tally wise (only ruined by the Argyle result and performance).

I am completely negative about Tisdale, his wage, his style of play etc but despite that we have had a difficult month. York were pretty poor but Pompey and Burton are good sides and Northampton will probably be in the play off mix.

Leaving aside Bury - September is a month full of winnable games against sides just as poor/average as ourselves. If we get to September and don't have our points tally at 10 or more then I would be feeling concerned.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster

You always were a well-balanced poster, Mr Bitts. This sensible thread is made for people like you :)

We have no money and will continue to struggle with the Trust as majority shareholder. That is reality. Things will worsen. Tisdale is working wonders with the resources at his disposal, the scorecard will always be unbalanced until The Trust sell up or kill Exeter City.