• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grecian Archive presents - Women in football. Tuesday 6th March

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Did womens football pre-date the Grecians? Maybe this might be a chance to find out.

The Grecian Archive are holding an evening titled 'Women in Football' in the Heritage Lounge at St James Park on Tuesday, March 6 at 7pm

The event will include a showing of a documentary titled 'Women in Football', filmed as part of the heritage lottery funded 'Exeter City Football Club Museum Project', the short documentary uses archival material and interviews with a number of Exeter City FC players, trainers and volunteers, in order to take a closer look at the history of women in football in Exeter, both on and off the pitch.

The archive, which was created in 2015 by the University of Exeter in collaboration with the Exeter City Football Club History Group, hosts materials from Exeter City Football Club, the Supporters Trust, and a number of individuals who have generously contributed resources to it. The archive was subsequenly enriched during the HLF funded History of St James Park project (2016-7).

If you would like to attend it would help if you could please email to [email protected].

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Back in the earlier 90's, I referee'd quite a lot of womans local football. Some of them were quite good players too. I recall E&E Sports Correspondant Trina Lake was excellent. Are there no longer any womans teams or leagues?

geoffwp

England v USA this Thursday in Orlando Pete. Final game in a four side tournament with France and Germany the other nations.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Back in the earlier 90's, I referee'd quite a lot of womans local football. Some of them were quite good players too. I recall E&E Sports Correspondant Trina Lake was excellent. Are there no longer any womans teams or leagues?
Are you for real?

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is tonight. It is a short documentary film about not only the history of women's football through to the present at ECFC but also the role played by women such as Frances Farley, Denise Watts and many other staff, volunteers and fans at the club.

Hope to see some of you there!

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just for Pete, here's something that was in the fanzine recently about the women's game and a little bit about ECFC ladies. Also attached as a pdf.

Attachments

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster

Spoonz Red E

A good film to watch - some interesting info in there and hopefully good foundations for future years.

I'd also like to mention Fran Jenkin who chaired the Exeter City Kick It Out/One Game One Community group until she passed away.
She was always prompting Julian Tagg to do more for women in football and would have enjoyed last night's presentation.

denzil

Anyone remember the Ladies Match England v Republic of Ireland at SJP back in the 1970s (?) and officiated by "our own" ref Ron Crabbe ????

Last edited:

PeteUSA

I'd also like to mention Fran Jenkin who chaired the Exeter City Kick It Out/One Game One Community group until she passed away.
She was always prompting Julian Tagg to do more for women in football and would have enjoyed last night's presentation.
Hopefully some of the "prompting" paid off.