• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - sacked by Rotherham & employed by Bristol Rovers

Bat Fastard

At least the Rovers faithful have the solace of watching KMT’s signature brand of wonderful football to watch……..🤣🤣🤣🤣
I’m afraid since Taylor was appointed Bristol rovers have scored more goals than us chap

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rovers are league one version of us in league two. If our attendances are closer to there’s now it’s probably indicative of Exeter’s ‘growing city’ status.
The trick now is to use that maybe permanent and organic growth in our crowds to establish ourselves as a long term third tier club.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m afraid since Taylor was appointed Bristol rovers have scored more goals than us chap
That is hardly hard though. Our goals have come in real streaks this season. Around 59% of our goals have come in August, September, March and April.

13 of our 39 goals in 8 matches, have come since the beginning of march (33.3% of the seasons total). AVG per game 1.6

10 goals came in the first 8 matches in August and September (25.64% of our seasons total). AVG per game 1.25

In our other 27 matches we have scored 16 goals (41.02%) beginning October to End of Feb. AVG per game 0.59

Season total thus far AVG goals per game 0.9

Last edited:

tavyred

That stat is currently escaping large swathes of their fanbase it has to be said! 😁
KMT was used on here as an exemplar of how a manager can play attractive football, his current charges are now 10 hours of football without a goal! Go figure! 🤷‍♂️

arthur

My comment was not about whether Taylor is as good as Caldwell or not, but rather about Taylor himself and his career choices. Leaving a stable environment after just 11 games in a League he's never managed in before to take a job in a still higher league at a club in a lowly position with limited resources was a very high risk thing to do. He was extracted from that situation with his dignity and reputation largely intact, then took a job with a club whose unrealistic expectations meant it got through managers at the rate, it seems, of at least two a season and is now at risk of some serious reputational damage.

People will say that hindsight is a wonderful thing, but my point is that all this could and should have been foreseen. However he is young enough and good enough to brush himself down and start again, preferably at a League 2 Club where the pressure and daily crisis management will not stunt his growth into a competent, experienced and sought after manager which he has the potential to become. He will always have Tisdale as a role model to look to on how not to manage himself post Exeter :)

denzel

My comment was not about whether Taylor is as good as Caldwell or not, but rather about Taylor himself and his career choices. Leaving a stable environment after just 11 games in a League he's never managed in before to take a job in a still higher league at a club in a lowly position with limited resources was a very high risk thing to do. He was extracted from that situation with his dignity and reputation largely intact, then took a job with a club whose unrealistic expectations meant it got through managers at the rate, it seems, of at least two a season and is now at risk of some serious reputational damage.

People will say that hindsight is a wonderful thing, but my point is that all this could and should have been foreseen. However he is young enough and good enough to brush himself down and start again, preferably at a League 2 Club where the pressure and daily crisis management will not stunt his growth into a competent, experienced and sought after manager which he has the potential to become. He will always have Tisdale as a role model to look to on how not to manage himself post Exeter :)
Hindsight is a wonderful thing yes. I said earlier in the thread about Rob Edwards. He didn't manage a single game in league one before being attracted to Watford. He was sacked too soon there but I doubt he regrets his decision to leave FGR!

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Bristol Rovers move was ill-advised, but if you look at Taylors videod first meeting with the players, he seems to be of this view, but is doing it anyway. I guess he was stung by the rejection and wanted to make an instant point. Meanwhile, Rotherhams decision to sack Taylor is looking even less wise.

Grecian_Matt

I don't blame Taylor for leaving he was offered a job at a bigger club playing in the Championship.
It was probably a bad move as they were relegation fodder and he also shot himself in the foot by keeping them in the Championship in his first season - Had he got relegated he would of been able to build a team he wanted and have a clearout of deadwood and probably been promoted back this season.

If Taylor hadn't of left he would of just ended up being Tisdale and sticking around way too long and the fans potentially turning on him eventually.

Least Taylor actually had the balls unlike Tisdale to make the jump when offered.

arthur

I don't blame Taylor for leaving he was offered a job at a bigger club playing in the Championship.
It was probably a bad move as they were relegation fodder and he also shot himself in the foot by keeping them in the Championship in his first season - Had he got relegated he would of been able to build a team he wanted and have a clearout of deadwood and probably been promoted back this season.

If Taylor hadn't of left he would of just ended up being Tisdale and sticking around way too long and the fans potentially turning on him eventually.

Least Taylor actually had the balls unlike Tisdale to make the jump when offered.
If he'd stayed and completed a successful season in League One, he'd have had a lot more attractive offers at the end of it

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
If he'd stayed and completed a successful season in League One, he'd have had a lot more attractive offers at the end of it
Easy in hindsight. If he'd stayed and struggled to rebuild a side with so many players out of contract he risked becoming old news and losing the chance to manage in the Championship.