• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

Gordon Dale

Gutting. I think he's more than adequate at this level.

Think he will go on and surprise a few. No one cared that Sparkes left and he's doing alright. Archie has also gone on to do really well. Hope the same for Alex.
Spot on. Like other posters I fear we might also lose Cheick. We need a capable squad. Too often , when injuries have loomed to key players, the team has struggled at this level. Does not augur well.

Bridgy 81

Agree with others that Alex has been a very good player for us and I’m sorry he’s leaving.
But in GC’s post match interview he said there have been contract offers made.
So you have to assume either they didn’t meet Alex’s expectations or he’s keen for a new experience.
Whichever it is he has my thanks and best wishes.

supernova

Nice lad and a good servant of the club but much like Matt Jay (who I felt the same about) I won’t be losing any sleep over it. Always thought he’s bang average myself but each to their own

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lot of rumours circulating in January that he was off and we effectively brought in a replacement, in Purrington. Could've been nothing in it, but hard not to suspect something fell through for whatever reason. We seemed to move on from him shortly after Christmas.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really pleased he was given the armband today - A classy move from Caldwell, that. He’s a very good CB on his day, but I’ve felt like he’s needed a fresh move for a little while so don’t blame him for moving on. Purrington and Jules would stop him playing many next season, I suspect.

Great servant and all the best, Alex. You bowed out with a great performance and clean sheet today.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Spot on. Like other posters I fear we might also lose Cheick. We need a capable squad. Too often , when injuries have loomed to key players, the team has struggled at this level. Does not augur well.
Why you should fear losing Chieck, especially whilst Caldwell is in charge, I don't know. Chieck has good qualities as a defender but his technical ability on the ball is poor and the way we play with Caldwell he needs to be far better on the ball than he is.
To the point of the thread though, Alex. I'm sad to see him go. He has his moments but by and large he has turned out a quality performance. If he can get rid of his lapses in concentration that seems to come in spells rather momentary lapses he can still be a very good League 1 player. He's been here a very long time, joined at the age of 9 if reports are correct (far too early in my opinion but that's another discussion for another thread) and is probably in need of a change of scene as much as anything. Good luck to you Alex wherever you go........ except when you play City of course😉.

JGrecian23

Why you should fear losing Chieck, especially whilst Caldwell is in charge, I don't know. Chieck has good qualities as a defender but his technical ability on the ball is poor and the way we play with Caldwell he needs to be far better on the ball than he is.
To the point of the thread though, Alex. I'm sad to see him go. He has his moments but by and large he has turned out a quality performance. If he can get rid of his lapses in concentration that seems to come in spells rather momentary lapses he can still be a very good League 1 player. He's been here a very long time, joined at the age of 9 if reports are correct (far too early in my opinion but that's another discussion for another thread) and is probably in need of a change of scene as much as anything. Good luck to you Alex wherever you go........ except when you play City of course😉.
Its League 1 not the Premier League. Diabete doesn't need to be John Stones. He's a perfectly good League 1 defender. He would also be a big loss.

Let's not forget Sweeny ain't getting younger and imo recently has looked a bit of a liability in the games I've seen.

SidwellOldboy

What odds on Kite being captain vs Oxford.. or is he injured

Rosencrantz

Can't blame Alex for wanting a fresh challenge and to stretch himself. He has done really well for us over the past few years and deserved the send off he got today. I'm sure most of us will keep an eye on his travels and wish him all the best.

fred binneys head

Alex will sign for Wrexham.