• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club's Accounts ending June 2023

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
These accounts look pretty good. 95% of clubs would kill for figures like these - we are solvent, profitable and sustainable. And kudos to the club for publishing the full accounts - have we done this before??
Not sure when we started publishing full accounts but this time last year we also published a supporters report to accompany and explain the accounts which hopefully we will do again this year.
Nick Hawker discussed the rationale behind the report here.

sidney

Many thanks to those who have explained these accounts very well. The bottom line is that ECFC is a well run club with a good business model. Having said that, any club that depends upon transfer income will in the long term struggle. Which is why the attendance figures are important and encouraging. I like the approach of investing in training facilities at the C & F, and the gradual improvements to the match day experience. It does seem that attendance figures have improved to the point where modest improvements to, for example, the Jungle, in order to increase capacity, albeit by as few as a couple of hundred, may make good business sense.

tom_ecfc

Many thanks to those who have explained these accounts very well. The bottom line is that ECFC is a well run club with a good business model. Having said that, any club that depends upon transfer income will in the long term struggle. Which is why the attendance figures are important and encouraging. I like the approach of investing in training facilities at the C & F, and the gradual improvements to the match day experience. It does seem that attendance figures have improved to the point where modest improvements to, for example, the Jungle, in order to increase capacity, albeit by as few as a couple of hundred, may make good business sense.
A few hot tubs and ’VIP’ packages for the Jungle Path corner could increase revenue 😉 See the Caribbean cricket grounds for examples…

spodman

The transfer income for 2022/23 will include the fee agreed with Peterborough for Archie. We would certainly have made a loss for the year without that income. Accepted that is somewhat speculative but the consensus seems to be that we received in excess of £500k for Archie. Would also include the fees for Alfie Pond, Tim Dieng and Josh Coley plus add-ons from Ollie Watkins.

Looking at the intangible assets we paid £52500 in transfer fees. Most of this would have been for Will Aimson but I believe we also paid a small fee for Vinnie Harper.

There was also a disposal of £7000 which I think represents Josh Coley’s net book value so assume that means we paid around £20k for him back in 2021 given he signed a three year contract.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
It does seem that attendance figures have improved to the point where modest improvements to, for example, the Jungle, in order to increase capacity, albeit by as few as a couple of hundred, may make good business sense.
If you mean the path between the BB and the NOG then we can’t do anything there, it’s not ours. If you mean the tiny triangle just off the pitch, waste of money. You won’t get a few hundred in there, I reckon you’d be lucky to get a hundred at best, so maybe increase takings by £2k per game at best. For the cost to develop it, it’s hardly worth it. Plus we rarely sell out - maybe three or four times a year and probably less than a dozen times over the last decade so that 100 or so could be comfortably accommodated elsewhere.

i might suggest we see if attendances hold up for the next season or so before committing to capacity increases - unless we’re regularly hitting 7.5k or more it’s just not worth it.

C j phill

Bearing in mind there was a threefold increase in the operating loss, it emphasises the absolute need to continue to produce players who can be sold on. We don’t seem to have the quality coming through from the academy that we have previously had, so the ability to spot a player from another club, who could be developed into a saleable asset becomes more important…
The income from player sales is clearly important but I'd anticipate that part of the relatively new Chief Exec and Chief Financial Officer's job descriptions would (or should) include a requirement to increase income from non player sales, in order to make our playing budget competitive. We've seen that the 6k project has been achieved whilst we've been in league 1 during the current period, so non player sale income must be the area to be targetted. I'm not sure that our Trust ownership model has been maximised from a commercial perspective, so hopefully this is an issue the pair will focus on.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The income from player sales is clearly important but I'd anticipate that part of the relatively new Chief Exec and Chief Financial Officer's job descriptions would (or should) include a requirement to increase income from non player sales, in order to make our playing budget competitive. We've seen that the 6k project has been achieved whilst we've been in league 1 during the current period, so non player sale income must be the area to be targetted. I'm not sure that our Trust ownership model has been maximised from a commercial perspective, so hopefully this is an issue the pair will focus on.
At the last fans forum I asked the CEO about the reliance on player sales and he was candid in saying that despite massively incresed attendances we are still overly reliant on transfer income and would be for the forseeable.

cambmike

One thing that strikes me is the absolute pathetic amount received for TV money. 55k this year, 15k last. I bet the likes of Derby and Portsmouth were significantly more than that. Though I guess ifollow income is under commercial income, be nice to see this broken down a bit more.
And it says that player sales income are listed elsewhere but I couldn't see them.
We have been on TV less this year due to it being our 2nd season in League 2 and would expect less in next accounts

Last edited:

denzel

A few hot tubs and ’VIP’ packages for the Jungle Path corner could increase revenue 😉 See the Caribbean cricket grounds for examples…
I really don't want to see people from the Big Bank in hot tubs as I walk down the Jungle Path.

No offence...

geoffwp

So, we've made enough profit to pay Mr Caldwell off? Is that what the accounts say? Just wondering like.:cool: