• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Charlton Athletic Matchday thread.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
In terms of the final third, we are pretty dreadful and do make lots and lots of poor choices, but also our tactical approach is a huge problem in how we set up for games. We are largely pretty boring to watch (like England, Man City etc.) and have largely poor outcomes (albeit we should stay up, so mission achieved in that regard)
...but seem to attract largeish crowds

grecIAN Harris

In terms of the final third, we are pretty dreadful and do make lots and lots of poor choices, but also our tactical approach is a huge problem in how we set up for games. We are largely pretty boring to watch (like England, Man City etc.) and have largely poor outcomes (albeit we should stay up, so mission achieved in that regard)
It's not something that is beyond us. You look back at the goals that we have scored over the last six weeks. We've had strikes when we have taken the first opportunity. I know some will point to the deflections but you pays your money and takes your chances and sometimes you get the breaks as well, if you don't.......... Then look at the last four goals prior to yesterday, proper "Gazball". We worked the ball quickly and sharply down the channels to create the pull back which in turn was played positively and accurately. What we need us more consistency in doing that. I suspect that people like yourself, Max and others would be a little more relaxed with what you were watching if you were watching shots at the end of it even if they weren't hitting the target rather than watching the move collapse without some kind of effort. At least you could feel that there's something coming.

arthur

Despite instructions to continue the press. Can see why, esp when we are a goal up. When a player receives the ball he has the choice to play the easy pass or play a riskier ball which might set a player away. When the riskier ball loses possession or drifts out of play the player looks silly and can come in for criticism, a safe pass will seldom draw any comment. We usually start and finish games with a more adventurous spirit but our default tactic is just to keep possession.
It's the players who keep doing this and it's Caldwell's job to persuade them not to. There is a joint responsibility to sort this out

Grecian Max

This has a lot more to it and you know it cheeky Arthur

People making a pilgrimage to The Caldwell Caudron just to bear witness to our “play like it’s a warm up” game does make me laugh though, fair play

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep. I think that's a combination of many factors, but we'll take it won't we, as good crowds are exactly what we need. As said I'm just offering my opinions. If this way means next season we'll push playoffs I'd take it, but I think I just dislike this way of football in general. Even when we win I find it a real chore to watch us ATM. Tbh I find this style a real chore. But look we've stayed up, so it's mission achieved, but this season will be glad to consign to the dustbin ASAP and hope we can be more effective next season.

manc grecian

It's the players who keep doing this and it's Caldwell's job to persuade them not to. There is a joint responsibility to sort this out
Can you let me know how long it takes for Gaz's persuasive skills to kick in.

arthur

Can you let me know how long it takes for Gaz's persuasive skills to kick in.
He's persuaded them to score the odd goal recently so I am full of confidence that this will be sorted out very soon:sneaky:

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not something that is beyond us. You look back at the goals that we have scored over the last six weeks. We've had strikes when we have taken the first opportunity. I know some will point to the deflections but you pays your money and takes your chances and sometimes you get the breaks as well, if you don't.......... Then look at the last four goals prior to yesterday, proper "Gazball". We worked the ball quickly and sharply down the channels to create the pull back which in turn was played positively and accurately. What we need us more consistency in doing that. I suspect that people like yourself, Max and others would be a little more relaxed with what you were watching if you were watching shots at the end of it even if they weren't hitting the target rather than watching the move collapse without some kind of effort. At least you could feel that there's something coming.
I think this season has shown that conisistently, it has been beyond us so far, but the final third is the biggest part we must fix next season and we must address this seriously well, otherwise strap in for another season with little goals.

exespur

Just caught the highlights from last night. Looked from our own highlights like we snatched a draw but how lucky was the equaliser my god!

hillview red

This will need fact-checking but... I think yesterday was the first time we have scored in the first 15 mins of a league game at home since Tim Dieng got one in October 2022 (apologies if this has already been stated somewhere in this thread)

Sinisalo - Usual strong presence and couldn't really do anything about the goal. He couldn't seem to work out weight of long ball out when playing with the wind sadly. A number of balls went straight through to their keeper second half.
Sweeney - Good distribution and generally solid. Sadly let Aneke get a run on him for the header which led to the goal.
Aimson - distribution not as good but defensively very good again.
Purrington - very classy and so good to have such a versatile left sided player. We could have done with Jules second half for the physical onslaught but excellent all round game from BP.
Niskanen - all action as usual which is even more crucial when Woods is playing. If he had end product he'd be incredible.
Wildschut - Good again for a second home game in a row. Really pleasing to see him go at the full back time and time again... However, the cynic in me wonders if his upturn in form coincides with contract time... Possibly harsh but hope to see sustained good form from him.
Carroll - People moan about him slowing down the play but personally I thought he was very good.
Woods - Really good showing - super classy. The only criticism is that he can't cover sufficient ground for a CM/CDM but rarely gives the ball away. If we can get him to 100% fitness/speed it'll be awesome.
Harris - Missed a crucial chance to make it 2 in the second half but was hampered by another player's touch. Works so hard, super tidy and whilst he hasn't got eye-catching numbers since he arrived, he has been key to our upturn in form in my opinion.
Aitchson - Not his usual self making some odd decisions in the final third but a good assist and as always works his socks off.
Cox - worked hard but not alot of service or chances.

Subs
Alli - We have to give him time but so disappointing to not see him able to charge around for 20 minutes off the bench.
Eisa - Looks like he's a little disinterested. Has to do more if he wants a contract.
Rankine - the Raheem Sterling of League 1?!? Harsh again but no end product and I resign myself to him running down a dead end whenever he gets it.
Diabate - The own goal wasn't his fault but didn't provide a reassuring presence when he came on.
Cole - little time to impress but dead ball delivery is quality.

Overall - another point closer to safety against a team who I think will challenge next year. Great first 10-15 but average thereafter.
I'm not too downbeat and fancy us getting 3 points on Monday. UTC!