• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Derby County matchday thread

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't agree. He's certainly not really capable of playing the defensive side of the role as things stand.
I'd swap his naivety in defence for his threat going forward in a team that struggles to create chances and score goals.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd swap his naivety in defence for his threat going forward in a team that struggles to create chances and score goals.
Tend to agree. For me Niskanen ain't terribly good either defensively or offensively. At least Rankine offers something going forward.

Reactions: 007

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also, is it just me, or has Harris shown next to nothing so far? Like others, I was excited by his signing but, thus far, I'm yet to be convinced he's any better than our own youngsters. At least Joe White had one good game before continually disappointing.

hillview red

Sinisalo - Should he have done better with the 1st? Not much he could have done with the other 2 I think.
Aimson - Played well. Glad there was none of the recent booing nonsense.
Diabate - Great battle with Collins that he won.
Jules - Solid as usual but got burnt by Mendez-Laing for the crucial 2nd goal.
Niskanen - Not good. Has no end product and massively at fault for the 1st goal. Gave the ball away, failed to complete the foul on their player and then backed off. 3 mistakes in 1 phase of play. Such a shame as we had started very brightly.
Harper - Lots of running but little end product and sense he doesn't really know what to do when he gets in the final third. Like Jules, gassed for the 2nd goal.
Carroll - Thought he was excellent. So good on the ball and played a couple of really incisive passes
Cole - Not sure why he was replaced... Maybe GC wanted to save him with the game gone. Decent delivery again and his partnership with Carroll continues to grow.
Aitchson - Continued his bright recent form but no end product tonight.
Harris - Really sharp in the first half. He's going to be some player in the future.
Eisa - Good movement but not clinical in the box. An improvement though for our striking department.

Subs
Sweeney - Not great tonight. Crosses didn't beat the first man and a number of unusually misplaced passes.
Rankine - Bright but again little end product. How was he left one on one for the 3rd goal? Need to see it again.
Woods - Good communicator and I'm sure many will see his cameo as a positive but it was an easy time to come on as a playmaking DMC. Derby sat off and enabled him to play some nice passes. Will be interesting to see how he progresses but sense he's not at match fitness just yet.
Cox - Struggled to get involved and missed a big chance at the end.
Wildschut - Lively but little time to impact.

Derby were the best side I've seen at the Park this year. Big, strong, well organised and have some match winners. But I suppose that's what a massive league 1 budget should get you.

Thought we were good tonight particularly the first 30 mins. Our season will not be defined by a game against Derby. Onwards and upwards. UTC!

CraigECFC

These stats are a bit misleading. If you're playing against an even opponent, you're likely to have more of the ball if you're a goal down than a goal up.
I don't disagree with this. I was just adding some objective statistics to a subjective viewpoint. I unfortunately don't have time to incorporate league metrics, position and time of goal which I agree all play a part. From watching us all season I feel we certainly look more dangerous out of possession and are fairly easy to defend against with the ball.

red1

Beaten fair and square by a Championship side in the making.
Niskanen at fault for the 1st goal and doesn't seem to be able to go past a player and get a cross in.
Aimson had a better game but he needs to play in the middle of a 3, but is never going to displace Cheick. He doesnt help his popularity standings by gesturing to the crowd either.
Mo looks well short on sharpness. Hope he can get up to speed.
Overall, we weren't terrible, just beaten by a very good side.

hillview red

Also, is it just me, or has Harris shown next to nothing so far? Like others, I was excited by his signing but, thus far, I'm yet to be convinced he's any better than our own youngsters. At least Joe White had one good game before continually disappointing.
I'm a fan. Don't think it's a coincidence that our upturn in form and improvement in the final third has occured since he arrived. He's bright, good on the ball, works hard, gets stuck in and is on the same wavelength as Aitchson. Goals and assists will come.

The whole evening seemed to have an air of inevitability about it. We do seem to be intimidated by these big teams, esp in the stands and terraces. Our support was so quiet tonight even before we conceded. Me included!

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Despite our fatal mistakes, Derby were very clinical in how they settled that contest.I would give anything for City to possess thst quality,but with Caldwell I cant see it happening. The patience of a team that knows they will definitely get a chance to win the match was there for all to see.

JGrecian23

Not a lot to write really. When we win its dull but when we lose it is painful to watch.

Haven't read anything yet so apologies if I've missed that there was an injury involved but taking Cole off when chasing a game is enough to make my mind up on Caldwell by itself. Awful decision. Obviously if he's injured then no dramas.

Niskanen - no more to say, I said it weeks ago and got shouted down as usual. He's dreadful.

Eisa - get your shot off earlier ffs. He does at least look a league 1 striker though.

Harper - was he even playing?

Cole - kept trying to go forward which is great to see, especially when the alternative is Tom Carroll who is more concerned with how many 3 yard passes he makes.

Aitchison - I'm still not a fan at all but he does have a good touch and tries to drive forward at least. Just no end product.

The rest I can't even be bothered to mention.

Why when our right side is so much weaker than our left side do we keep trying to go down the right. Aimson and Niskanen offer nothing, at least Jules and Harper have a slight threat usually.

All in all another boring night at the Park.