• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Wigan v Exeter City Match Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel E

For our second, it's good to see Aitcheson just whack it one on his left foot rather than work it onto his favoured right foot. That terrible miss at home against Rovers would have been a goal if he'd taken it first time on his left foot.

For theirs, I think Cheick needs to look at his reaction to the shot. Just get in the way of their player and the chance has gone.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
The away match, I think. We didn't see a lot of it second half as I recall.
Correct.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Eh?

Posh out-possessed us 4 days ago.

Barnsley out-possessed us 14 days ago.

Rovers out-possessed us 61%-39% 18 days ago.
So I checked just to see, Barnsley was a lot closer than I expected bordering on minimal. Peterborough was minimal, it's very rare you get an exact 50/50 split. Effectively you're splitting hairs and point scoring with both. The Rovers game I just don't get especially considering the way we kept possession in the first half playing with the wind and all Rovers did with any effect was lump it.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
What a brilliant day I’ve had.
Nice start that Wigan Council car parks are free at weekends.
I had a shock though when I was asked for 8 quid for a coffee at the stadium.
Turned out she thought I’d said I wanted a hot dog as well.
Not sure why, probably my West Country accent!
8 quid for an instant coffee and a hot dog, if you can call a tinned orange sausage in a bap a hot dog, is still daylight robbery!

arthur

What a brilliant day I’ve had.
Nice start that Wigan Council car parks are free at weekends.
I had a shock though when I was asked for 8 quid for a coffee at the stadium.
Turned out she thought I’d said I wanted a hot dog as well.
Not sure why, probably my West Country accent!
Anyway, I saw and spoke with plenty of fellow Senior Reds and Exewebbers today.
And I had the pleasure of sitting next to SaintJames during the match.
We formed our own little support group as it turns out we’re equally nervous spectators when it comes to watching City.
We agreed on most things which happened on the pitch so either we’re both very knowledgeable about the game or more likely we were both talking a load of old rubbish.
Either way we saw each other through to what in reality was a relatively comfortable victory, I thought.
That’s not to denigrate the obvious effort that went into the win from the team and the staff but speaks more to how far we’ve come on recently and how well we’re currently playing.
Well done to all concerned for that.
I’m off in a minute to get us a celebratory fish and chip takeaway for our tea.
I already have the cider and whisky handy to soothe my recently acquired slightly croaky voice.
Safe travels to everyone else there today - the support was magnificent.
Did you get fish and chips for takeaway tea at 7 pm in Wigan? All sounds a bit Southern and late to me. When I lived in Lancashire chip shops were open 11.30 - 1.30 for dinner; 4.30 - 6.00 for tea and 9.00 till 10.30 for supper. Trying to get fish and cho ips at 7 pm was impossible!

Bridgy 81

Did you get fish and chips for takeaway tea at 7 pm in Wigan? All sounds a bit Southern and late to me. When I lived in Lancashire chip shops were open 11.30 - 1.30 for dinner; 4.30 - 6.00 for tea and 9.00 till 10.30 for supper. Trying to get fish and cho ips at 7 pm was impossible!
The only thing I took away from Wigan earlier were the 3 points!
I bought the grub in Warrington.
Cod for me, haddock for Mrs Bridgy and we shared a regular portion of chips.
And very nice they were too 🙂

Antony Moxey

The only thing I took away from Wigan earlier were the 3 points!
I bought the grub in Warrington.
Cod for me, haddock for Mrs Bridgy and we shared a regular portion of chips.
And very nice they were too 🙂
Curry sauce?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
So I checked just to see, Barnsley was a lot closer than I expected bordering on minimal. Peterborough was minimal, it's very rare you get an exact 50/50 split. Effectively you're splitting hairs and point scoring with both. The Rovers game I just don't get especially considering the way we kept possession in the first half playing with the wind and all Rovers did with any effect was lump it.
You said it was the first time in a long time we'd been out possessed. I pointed out that we'd actually been out possessed in 3 of the 4 matches in the 18 days prior to today 😂

It's not splitting hairs, you were just wrong. Don't cry about it, it happens to the best of us!

andrew p long

there's an XG stat on twitter of Wigan 1.11 v ECFC 0.16.

So according to that, if we play that game six times, we are expected to score one goal. And it would on average take us playing the game 12 times to accumulate 2 goals in total...

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
there's an XG stat on twitter of Wigan 1.11 v ECFC 0.16.

So according to that, if we play that game six times, we are expected to score one goal. And it would on average take us playing the game 12 times to accumulate 2 goals in total...
I get your maths, but am not sure you can extrapolate much more than we outscored our xG today from those figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.