• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Top 5 Worst Away Grounds

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Scunthorpe is rubbish. Was really disappointed by Sunderland's ground. Shrewsbury new ground is dull, and well away from anything of interest. The Kassam has dropped a few notches with the closure of the Priory.

sign of the chimes

All been mentioned elsewhere, but Oxford's Kassam Stadium is terrible in all respects. Kenilworth Road - I remember when Luton (surely illegally) banned away fans in the 1980s, in retrospect they were doing the rest of the league a favour. Mansfield is also horrible.

Legohead

Banned
I quite like Mansfield. Big pitch, big away end and a great view from the top of it. Plus it's only 8 miles away.

Shrewsbury is crap.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I was a bit shocked at the state of the away end at Fratton Park on my first visit, and it was difficult to reconcile the ground as a previous Prem ground, and also ignoring rather primitive toilet facilities, I have enjoyed the trips.

Dannyred

Stevenage due to the worst stewards.

Accrington Had to sit sideways and the tin roof was leaking.

Salford crap stewards nothing around the stadium.

SJP Parking is a real nightmare

sign of the chimes

I was a bit shocked at the state of the away end at Fratton Park on my first visit, and it was difficult to reconcile the ground as a previous Prem ground, and also ignoring rather primitive toilet facilities, I have enjoyed the trips.
The stadium had no post-war investment. We had a series of chancers and shysters in charge. We only put a roof on the away end a couple of years in to the PL because they were going to fine us for every game it didn't have one.

The promotion to the Premier League was largely down to the ITV Digital collapse and the fact that our then Chairman had enough money available to take a bit of a punt on promotion (I think we were one of only two second tier clubs to pay a transfer fee that summer). When we got there all available resource was put towards staying there. The reason the takeover a couple of years ago went through was because the promises were around developing better infrastructure, effectively what ECFC has been doing with several years' head start. We need to improve Fratton Park and increase the capacity - it's pretty much sold out to home fans every week in the current configuration - despite still being a pretty poor experience for both home and away fans. Whether or not the new(ish) ownership will deliver is another question - I say that without particular prejudice.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Northampton - feels like the middle of nowhere, only 1 pub near the ground, modern and boring design
Shrewsbury - another boring soul-less design, especially when compared to what they had before. I bet their fans are gutted
Colchester - see Northampton and Shrewsbury
Eastville - Not there anymore obviously, but that was a proper sh_t hole, with very dodgy locals back in the day, and miles from Temple Meads.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Scunthorpe is rubbish. Was really disappointed by Sunderland's ground. Shrewsbury new ground is dull, and well away from anything of interest. The Kassam has dropped a few notches with the closure of the Priory.
Really miss Gay Meadow. It was a bit of a heap, but a charming heap within walking distance of a nice town centre (at least when I was last there).

Legohead

Banned
Really miss Gay Meadow. It was a bit of a heap, but a charming heap within walking distance of a nice town centre (at least when I was last there).
Yep. Me too. Traditional old ground on the banks of the river. They even had a man in a boat on the river to fish out the balls that got kicked over the stand into it. Cross the bridge and you are in Shrewsbury centre. A fine old town with tudor buildings and history. The new ground is out of town, hard to find somewhere to park and has zero character. A real shame is the loss of Gay Meadow.

budegrecian

Barnet's new ground isn't great; miles from a decent pub.