• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough the players to avoid a cashflow crisis

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
There should be a massive backlash against the overpaid players at the top of the game. They have the ability to do something about it by volunteering a pay cut..The clubs have little to do about it unless the players agree...
No there shouldn't. The EPL players have committed no crime. If they accept a pay cut the difference will only go into the pockets of the fat cat owners.
But, what the players could do through the PFA is to offer say 25% of their salary to a bona fide charity connected with the Corona virus. This will need careful organisation and effort, though.
PS. A lot of PL players are from foreign lands and might feel more inclined to donate to charities in their own countries
Yes, they earn their money here, but the reason that PL players get paid so much is because of the television rights which are sold around the world. The Premier League is in fact an international league.

i8cornwall

Whatever your views of the way the club has been run, I think you'd agree that this particular challenge is not one that is in the textbooks.
Give people a break.
No I agree with that but my point still stands a number of things could have also happened but we would still be in this situation
Are you happy for your hard earned taxes to be spent on propping up Spurs who are happy to continue to pay players millions of pounds each month and have an owner worth £4.4 BILLION?
My taxes have been spent on far worse things in the past!

IndoMike

The incompetent fool Hancock deflecting from his own failings and trying to turn people's attention to pro footballers. Better he should focus on his job, which I hope he won't have for much longer.

"*Hancock said that 'given NHS staff making the ultimate sacrifice getting into work and have caught the diseases and sadly died, I think the first thing Premier League footballers can do is make a contribution,

However, Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville said his statement was 'a f***ing cheek' while Gary Lineker warned against a 'judgemental pile-on' on Britain's footballers.

Mr Neville said: 'I wish I was a player for 10 more mins. The PL players are more than likely working on a proposal to help clubs, communities and the NHS. It takes longer than 2 weeks to put together.

'Matt Hancock calling them out when he can't get tests in place for NHS staff is a f@@@@@g cheek!'"

Boyo

My taxes have been spent on far worse things in the past!
Probably, but that doesn't make it right on this occasion. How do you feel about your taxes paying the salaries of argyle staff/players? ;)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Explanation of furlough on the BBC

i8cornwall

Probably, but that doesn't make it right on this occasion. How do you feel about your taxes paying the salaries of argyle staff/players? ;)
Our taxes have been paying for people in that city well before this all started.

malcolms

No there shouldn't. The EPL players have committed no crime. If they accept a pay cut the difference will only go into the pockets of the fat cat owners.
But, what the players could do through the PFA is to offer say 25% of their salary to a bona fide charity connected with the Corona virus. This will need careful organisation and effort, though.
PS. A lot of PL players are from foreign lands and might feel more inclined to donate to charities in their own countries
Yes, they earn their money here, but the reason that PL players get paid so much is because of the television rights which are sold around the world. The Premier League is in fact an international league.
'Fat cat owners' I'm amazed you got sucked into such a lazy and generalised description. The players aren't performing any useful function and yet you are suggesting they should continue to receive (PL) 'eye watering sums'...Clubs like City are receiving little or no income and yet they are being discouraged by some from taking advantage of the furlough arrangements..Lest we forget, the limit is 2,500 pounds a month which even in the EFL represents a small percentage of what they will earn as most reasonable employers will be trying to top up to 100%

LDNGrecian

Cant remember who said it or the direct quote exactly but definitely heard someone say:

"If you can't afford to drop from 100k a week to 80k a week, there is definitely something wrong with the way you are living."

IndoMike

'Fat cat owners' I'm amazed you got sucked into such a lazy and generalised description. The players aren't performing any useful function and yet you are suggesting they should continue to receive (PL) 'eye watering sums'...Clubs like City are receiving little or no income and yet they are being discouraged by some from taking advantage of the furlough arrangements..Lest we forget, the limit is 2,500 pounds a month which even in the EFL represents a small percentage of what they will earn as most reasonable employers will be trying to top up to 100%
1. Well, if you consider that most of the owners of PL clubs are not fat cats then so be it. They're hardly poor, are they?
Why can't they contribute? For many of them a billion dollars is a drop in the ocean
2. I'm sure PL players will contribute something. Many of them do charitable work and realize that they are lucky. Give them time to sort something out. But I don't see why they should be especially targeted, especially by the pathletic Health Minister. Weak attempt at deflectiion by him.
3. None of us wants City players to suffer or the club to suffer, but it should be the PL, FA and League that organize this and cough up themselves. I repeat, the players will deal with this

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
the players will deal with this
I wish I shared your optimism.

I hope you are right and that there is something in place soon, but it doesn't look promising so far. The problem seems to be that there are 3000+ players all of whose circumstances are different, from PL players with long watertight contracts for millions of pounds a year to L2 players on minimum wage or not much more, as some of our young lads presumably are.

The PFA statement is full of warm words but no action. It mainly asks players to wait and the club owners to pay staff before asking players to help.

"In instances where clubs have the resources to pay all staff, the benefit of players paying non-playing staff salaries will only serve the business of the club’s shareholders."

They seem to be suggesting that no player makes an individual gesture before the PFA have seen the financial position of all the clubs and decided on the overall line. Perhaps sound policy, but seems a bit tin-eared in current circumstances.