• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Finishing the season.

jrg333

Football players are over paid by millions, clubs risk things like this by having a 2 million pound wage bill per week.
It's called a labour market, my friend. Footballers are not 'over-paid' - they earn what their employers have budgeted to pay them.

Maybe if a few of the bigger clubs struggle they'll bring in a wage cap.
Interfering with a market like that, for example by introducing a wage cap, always has disastrous unintended consequences. Wage caps never work, ever, anywhere. They sound nice in theory to poor people, but it is poor people who always suffer the most when the super rich take their labour abroad, which is exactly what would happen if we introduced a wage cap.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's called a labour market, my friend. Footballers are not 'over-paid' - they earn what their employers have budgeted to pay them.

Interfering with a market like that, for example by introducing a wage cap, always has disastrous unintended consequences. Wage caps never work, ever, anywhere. They sound nice in theory to poor people, but it is poor people who always suffer the most when the super rich take their labour abroad, which is exactly what would happen if we introduced a wage cap.
Broadly true in normal circumstances and long term, but probably not in times of war or other extreme events when personal freedom and travel are controlled for long periods.

This 30th June is going to upset a lot of footballers' plans... are clubs going to offer huge wages and long contracts given the uncertainty over the future of the PL etc?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The key is the vaccine. Until there is one this bug will fly around all over the place. Presumably those who have had the virus will be immune to further attacks (although that is not proven) and those who have avoided it will not be.
The worst scenario is pretty horrific, in terms of fatalities and economics, but maybe the many hours of sunlight in the summer will see the end of it - that's just a theory.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
The key is the vaccine. Until there is one this bug will fly around all over the place. Presumably those who have had the virus will be immune to further attacks (although that is not proven) and those who have avoided it will not be.
The worst scenario is pretty horrific, in terms of fatalities and economics, but maybe the many hours of sunlight in the summer will see the end of it - that's just a theory.
It's not summer everywhere Mike. This isn't going anywhere for a while.

Alistair20000

You don't live in England Indo :)

Oldsmobile-88

I can see e-sports getting a boost over the coming few months.
There is a huge FIFA 20 tournament being played(I have no idea about these computer generated football games)

It was organised by Leyton Orient on their Twitter feed.
128 teams entered from around the world including the Grecians(who are playing Peterborough)

Tie of the 1st round is Swindon v Benfica

Banksy

I hope they have Doyle playing for them because they’ll need him.

Grecian2K

There is a huge FIFA 20 tournament being played(I have no idea about these computer generated football games)

It was organised by Leyton Orient on their Twitter feed.
128 teams entered from around the world including the Grecians(who are playing Peterborough)

I have read that a lot of pro footballers are also great fans of the FIFA franchise.

Perhaps that could be a way of resolving the "finishing the season" conundrum...each team nominates their best player(s) to contest each remaining fixture online?

The clubs could even "live stream" the game for some sort of revenue.

And, at very least, when the real game finally resumes those who have competed will, even if the rest of their finely tuned muscles have atrophied through lack of training and playing, will at least return with thumbs and fingers in perfect condition!

Spoonz Red E

Markets can be distorting in themselves.
Personally I'd change 'always has disastrous unintended consequences' to 'sometimes has disastrous unintended consequences'

IndoMike

It's not summer everywhere Mike. This isn't going anywhere for a while.
Oh I agree. I was trying to be positive in juxtaposition to the negative thoughts before it. And as I say, the sunlight theory is not proven