• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Ian Russon

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Ethan was all hype, he won't be a top 4 player. However Chelsea paid peanuts for him and it's worth the gamble.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
that’s what the tv coverage said..Ampadu out with a back injury so replaced by a top notch centre half who hadn’t been available for the first leg.
Presumably this is linked to his recent "growing pains" niggles and is nothing more chronic.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This now means that Ethan’s loan club Leipzig will, barring a miracle result next week, have gone further in the Champions League than his parent club Chelsea. As well as Leipzig being higher up the Bundesliga than Chelsea are in he Premiership. A strange way to seek more game time...
It only makes sense to me if this is part of a long-term plan for Leipzig to sign him at the end of the loan.

grecianstew

Trouble is (for us) , RBL are unlikely to pay serious money for someone who has not impressed them enough to give him serious game time.

StudentGrecian

This now means that Ethan’s loan club Leipzig will, barring a miracle result next week, have gone further in the Champions League than his parent club Chelsea. As well as Leipzig being higher up the Bundesliga than Chelsea are in he Premiership. A strange way to seek more game time...
Said this a while ago, Leipzig’s performance this year is no shock, what were Chelsea thinking? Weren’t Villa supposed to be interested in the summer? Would have been a better place for him to develop surely...

Problem is Chelsea do this all the time, buy young players and sell them for profit without making an impact on their first team. De Bruyne made them a £12million profit after playing only 9 games for them.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Paul Mitchell, Leipzig's head of recruitment, was on 5Live last night and spoke very highly of Amps. He did say that he'd taken a while to settle in though. He also says he expects "big things when he goes back to Chelsea".

It's only brief but it's on here from just after 21 minutes in: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000g59k

tonykellowfan

People who go on about Chelsea's past have to remember that they have a different manager now in Lampard.

I get the impression he is very much in favour of bringing young players into the team quickly.

I think Ampadu fits the bill of the kind of player he is willing to give a chance to show what they can do in the Prem. He is still only 19, there is plenty of time for him.

Colesman Ballz

Just back from London, where Tues night's Evening Standard featured an interview with Amps from Leipzig. In which he stresses that he is very much a Chelski player and looks forward to being back there. He is very much enthused by young players getting their well deserved chances this season, and is undaunted by rumours of Lamp's getting a £150 million war chest for the summer window. If you prove yourself good enough you will get your chance. In the meantime his focus is on Leipzig until May and then Wales for the Euros. The latter will provide him with a great stage to show his ability, subject to it not getting called off over Covid 19 of course !

denzel

Chelsea have signed a 14 year old, Leo Castledine, from AFCWs academy. Their fans are not happy with it.
And so it goes on...

Footnote...he is the son of Lucy Alexander, from Homes under the Hammer

StudentGrecian

People who go on about Chelsea's past have to remember that they have a different manager now in Lampard.

I get the impression he is very much in favour of bringing young players into the team quickly.

I think Ampadu fits the bill of the kind of player he is willing to give a chance to show what they can do in the Prem. He is still only 19, there is plenty of time for him.
Maybe, and I hope so. Don’t get the praise Lampard received at the beginning of the season from the press, he was forced in to playing the youngsters with their transfer embargo (because of their dodgy dealing with youngsters). We will see in the summer what he is truly about.

I don’t really see the problem being the manager anyway, Chelsea sign hundreds of youngsters just to ship on for profit. It’s a scheme developed by the people in charge at the club, the manager just gets lucky if they see one of them in their first team for an extended period.