• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Crewe Matchday Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Match in a minute

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster

Matt Taylor on the state of the pitch, that it is affecting our promotion push, that it will make life hard for us in the remaining home games, and that something must be done

Red Monster

Matt Taylor on the state of the pitch, that it is affecting our promotion push, that it will make life hard for us in the remaining home games, and that something must be done
I’m sure someone else has moaned about the state of the
Pitch in the past,didn’t go down well on here if I remember !

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I’m sure someone else has moaned about the state of the
Pitch in the past,didn’t go down well on here if I remember !
Beat me to it.

Taylor is right, of course - although in fairness to Clive and his team the amount of rain we've had I was surprised the Crawley match was even playable.

However, his predecessor also said about the pitch and was constantly pilloried for it.

Oldsmobile-88

Taylor is right, of course - although in fairness to Clive and his team the amount of rain we've had I was surprised the Crawley match was even playable.
It’s not draining as it should at the moment.
On the IP Stand side,the ground was squelching under the artificial turf last week.

Probably will need proper investigating once the season is over..

Red Monster

Beat me to it.

However, his predecessor also said about the pitch and was constantly pilloried for it.
You’re right the ground staff did a excellent job in getting
The game on after Saturday.

Doesn’t look like it’s going to get much better before the
Salford game ,just had a inch of rain in Exmouth in the last
3 hours ☔.

You’re right the ground staff did a excellent job in getting
The game on after Saturday.

Doesn’t look like it’s going to get much better before the
Salford game ,just had a inch of rain in Exmouth in the last
3 hours ☔.
Might be worth thinking about postponing the U23 game on Monday given the state of the pitch and the forecasted lack of any drying easterlies that we normally can get in March? Short term still a lot of rain coming our way.

geoffwp

It disappoints me greatly to hear excuses being got in early. What happened to the notion that it's the same for both clubs? The pitch may well be in need of replacement, it definitely looks it, but why talk about it now in terms of the matches left. Poor judgement to bring this issue up now in that way. Nothing major is going to happen to the pitch for now, the weather is what it is, so we need a way of dealing with it. What's the plan Matt?

Rosencrantz

It disappoints me greatly to hear excuses being got in early. What happened to the notion that it's the same for both clubs? The pitch may well be in need of replacement, it definitely looks it, but why talk about it now in terms of the matches left. Poor judgement to bring this issue up now in that way. Nothing major is going to happen to the pitch for now, the weather is what it is, so we need a way of dealing with it. What's the plan Matt?
It's the same for both clubs for one game. It's not the same for the away side for the seven games since Saturday that are left at SJP though, only City have to play all of them. Matt's plan was evident Tuesday night, play for territory.

No one can blame Clive and co, they do all they can with what they have to work with. That patch on the IP stand side has always been a problem drainage wise. Even if we put in a modern pitch it will need investigation. He who seemingly cannot be named was right that we are behind almost every other club in terms of our pitch being out of date.

Andy Holloway

It’s not draining as it should at the moment.
On the IP Stand side,the ground was squelching under the artificial turf last week.

Probably will need proper investigating once the season is over..
I understand there was a problem with the drainage/sump which was not draining away properly, but it had been sorted by Tuesday night's game. Plus add in 2 days of a drying wind and sun and the pitch was much better for the Crewe game than it was for Creapy.
But i must ask why, oh why, do we still continue to play so much of our game in the muddy patch by the dug outs, especially when the same area on the opposite side was vastly superior and visibly greener?