• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Overreaction in my book.

Alan Partridge refers to the youths that spray painted his car as “Scum. Sub-human scum” in the series I’m Alan Partridge - I’m pretty sure he wasn’t referencing the Holocaust.

It’s about context and anyone with a brain can see that Legohead was not referencing that either.
Yes, but anyone with a devious,twisted mind will enjoy making all.kinds of interpretations.
Lego was on a bit of a rant and maybe lost control of his language a bit. He was referring to character, not ethnic background, clearly.

IndoMike

EU rules put limits on flock densities and transport times, with a view to preventing the spread of salmonella and campylobacter, both of which can cause food poisoning and possible death. In the absence of such regulations, American poultry processors address hygiene concerns at the end of the process by rinsing all the chicken in chlorine before packing. This kills 90% of the harmful bacteria present in the poultry – the question is whether that is enough. It sounds to me as if it isn’t.

“You don’t need that many bacteria to form an infectious dose,” Professor Bill Keevil from the University of Southampton told Quilton. “Even 10% surviving is a risk factor.” In his lab they have bottles of a branded medium for growing pathogens – called Salmonella Plus. I wonder if we import that from the US.

Indeed, chlorine washing may prevent the detection of contaminants through ordinary testing, because it partially masks the problem. Quilton had no trouble finding a Texas restaurant owner who will swear there is nothing wrong with American chicken – “Not a thing. Superior quality and flavour”. But the numbers speak for themselves: US rates of campylobacter infection are 10 times higher than in the UK. The US records hundreds of salmonella deaths a year; the UK has in recent years recorded none.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
'Subhuman' has been knocking around in the English language since about 1792. That some wish to give it's usage an incredible stretch in order to savour faux offence is bizarre, though probably hardly surprising in these 'enlightened' internet times. Had it's German counterpart been utilised then, maybe, they might've had a point.

IndoMike

'Subhuman' has been knocking around in the English language since about 1792. That some wish to give it's usage an incredible stretch in order to savour faux offence is bizarre, though probably hardly surprising in these 'enlightened' internet times. Had it's German counterpart been utilised then, maybe, they might've had a point.
Yes, I read the Wikipedia article too.
On my part there's no wish about anything
I just wanted to point out the historical fact that the usage of "sub - human" did not originate in Nazi Germany, but was certainly adopted by it. The sub - humans would include Jews, Blacks, Gays, Gypsies, and in fact more or less anyone who was not straight, Caucasian, leading a "respectable" life style and presumably in good health.

tavyred

Overreaction in my book.

Alan Partridge refers to the youths that spray painted his car as “Scum. Sub-human scum” in the series I’m Alan Partridge - I’m pretty sure he wasn’t referencing the Holocaust.

It’s about context and anyone with a brain can see that Legohead was not referencing that either.
Of course it was an overreaction, and it was meant to be.
As is the want of others on and off this thread, Lego was happy to pontificate and virtue signal to others on my low level sexism and yet a few posts later he was ranting about Tory politicians not being human.
You simply can’t have it both ways.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Overreaction in my book.

I must admit to having used the term quite frequently as someone wont to quote Partridge at any given opportunity.

I think Legohead's use was misguided (and perhaps inaccurate) rather than sinister.

DB9

I must admit to having used the term quite frequently as someone wont to quote Partridge at any given opportunity.

I think Legohead's use was misguided (and perhaps inaccurate) rather than sinister.
Totally agree, Lego wasn't being sinister in using it but the term has a sinister history and one that should be consigned to history

Grecian2K

Even though we are supposed to have 'Brexited' I notice that the likes of Ireland and Spain are still getting to name our storms. How so?

British weather for British people I say!

IndoMike

Even though we are supposed to have 'Brexited' I notice that the likes of Ireland and Spain are still getting to name our storms. How so?

British weather for British people I say!
Yes. i agree. The next strong winds could be named "Windrush".
Generally stormy weather could be "Daniels", with ref. to the greatest US president EVERRRRRR and inspiration to the man - child Cummings
(hasn't anyone told him to grow old gracefully and stop trying to look like a spotty rapper cum nerd?).
General bad weather should be named "Priti cr*p".

IndoMike

Of interest to three or four of our posters who still think Britain rules the waves and is the domain of the white man alone.