• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goalkeepers

robchave

How about this for solving the problem of lower-league time wasting?
As soon as the ref decides that a team is deliberately time wasting, he calls over the captain and warns him. At the next occurance, he books the player AND the captain (ungentlemanly conduct). The next occurance, he books the player AND the captain again. The captain is sent off. A new captain takes his place. If this process results in too few players remaining on the pitch, the game is awarded to the opposing side and recorded as a 5-0 victory and the manager is banned from the touch-line for three games.
Think that might sort the problem pretty quickly.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I note Northampton's number 8, whose "head injury" was so bad that his legs forgot how to work on Saturday, played and scored last night.

We (and the ref) weren't played for fools at all, oh no.

grecianstew

How about this for solving the problem of lower-league time wasting?
As soon as the ref decides that a team is deliberately time wasting, he calls over the captain and warns him. At the next occurance, he books the player AND the captain (ungentlemanly conduct). The next occurance, he books the player AND the captain again. The captain is sent off. A new captain takes his place. If this process results in too few players remaining on the pitch, the game is awarded to the opposing side and recorded as a 5-0 victory and the manager is banned from the touch-line for three games.
Think that might sort the problem pretty quickly.
Would much prefer it if possession were reversed ie. waste time at a goal kick = corner to opposition, throw in given to other side etc. Too often the ref actually wastes even more time when booking the offender and then doesn't add that on at he end.
Would also love to see the medic able to come on the pitch at any point (rugby style) thus no need for ref to stop game and Hockey style "in play" substitutions, supervised by the 4th official again meaning no stoppage required and no opportunity for time wasting.

ianaplincorners

Would much prefer it if possession were reversed ie. waste time at a goal kick = corner to opposition, throw in given to other side etc. Too often the ref actually wastes even more time when booking the offender and then doesn't add that on at he end.
Would also love to see the medic able to come on the pitch at any point (rugby style) thus no need for ref to stop game and Hockey style "in play" substitutions, supervised by the 4th official again meaning no stoppage required and no opportunity for time wasting.
All excellent ideas and exactly why the FA or whoever governs the rules these days will totally ignore them!

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster

I do have to laugh at this. Moaning about the referee not taking action regarding time-wasting, yet when he added nearly 7 minutes v Portsmouth, he gets called all the bastards?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I do have to laugh at this. Moaning about the referee not taking action regarding time-wasting, yet when he added nearly 7 minutes v Portsmouth, he gets called all the bastards?
Even the Portsmouth fan I know was bewildered when the board went up for 5 minutes and why the person ref carried on well after that was unbelievable.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
He was called all the names under the sun because so much time was added on (5 minute initially, then played 6.4) for no valid reason not for time wasting, get your facts right first when criticising. Or please enlighten me when the time wasting took place

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
That would be a good shout Pete - except for the fact that there was no time wasting in the Portsmouth game.

robchave

It's consistency that's the problem here. What he did was not 'normal'. That's why people were understandably annoyed.

grecianstew

You really do know how to make friends and influence people don’t you! Please show where I have called refs bastards, complained about time wasting in the Portsmouth match or even mentioned the Portsmouth match. From your reply I cannot deduce that you have even read my original post.