• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wouldn’t be bringing the IQ of others after the week you’ve just had Indo, Einstein you ain’t.

IndoMike

The point about PR is not so.much about the two "ruling" parties, it is the fact that the millions of people who vote Lib Dems or Greens (especially) are not represented at the decision - making level

IndoMike

I wouldn’t be bringing the IQ of others after the week you’ve just had Indo, Einstein you ain’t.
I've had a perfect week, Tavy, except didn't have the swimming pool for 2 days : a pain in the neck.
Anyway, touched a nerve, did I? And I said you were an incredibly smart guy. Most people would be delighted to read that. Was it a lie that you are a smart guy?

tavyred

Night Indo.
It’s way too late to entertaining your old rubbish this time of night. :)

IndoMike

For a man who thinks even a tiny majority is sufficient to change the destiny of the UK and its place in the world dramatically you'd think that since there is a large majority on this thread who disagree with Tavers "view of the world" (stretching from his house to the nearest field) then you'd think he'd bow to the majority view. This is what Remainers are supposed to do.
Of course, he has the perfect right to express his opinions, even including his powerful use of telepathy, whereby even before we say something he knows what we said!

Rosencrantz

The point about PR is not so.much about the two "ruling" parties, it is the fact that the millions of people who vote Lib Dems or Greens (especially) are not represented at the decision - making level
First past the post has generally been fine as for most the time it has been a two party race. It is very robust and until recently pretty much always delivered a majority government which increases the chances of a stable government. The American system generally works as it also is a two party race although as we have seen recently the President (Dubya marginally, and Trump by over 2%) can be elected without winning the popular vote. This has happened only twice I believe in the UK and five times in US.

However it stifles any other party trying to grow its support to levels where they can have influence and make people think of them as viable victors. The Lib Dems obviously done well in 2010 and achieved a place in government (to their own long term cost). This does rather discourage engagement in politics I feel, and could be a reason for the disillusionment in the political system and the feeling of being unrepresented.

A switch to any form of PR would need a wholesale shift in understanding and attitude by politicians and the public. Reference the 2010-15 coalition and the tail wagging the dog in 2017-19. It would mean people have to act a lot more grown up and collegiate which can bring about its own weaknesses in stability.

LOG

For a man who thinks even a tiny majority is sufficient to change the destiny of the UK and its place in the world dramatically you'd think that since there is a large majority on this thread who disagree with Tavers "view of the world" (stretching from his house to the nearest field) then you'd think he'd bow to the majority view. This is what Remainers are supposed to do.
Of course, he has the perfect right to express his opinions, even including his powerful use of telepathy, whereby even before we say something he knows what we said!
Michael, could you bear in mind that not everyone is as argumentative as you are please?

Could you please also consider that Tavy reels you in with his every post?

All the best.

IndoMike

Michael, could you bear in mind that not everyone is as argumentative as you are please?

Could you please also consider that Tavy reels you in with his every post?

All the best.
Why thank you Log. Actually , if you follow the thread , you will see that several.posters have arguments with Tavers : he's just that kind of guy. So I suggest that you contact the others to pass on your words of wisdom
Sorry for my late reply : just been to the gold shop to relieve myself of a few trinkets but it seems they saw me coming. I really should have checked today's gold prices before setting off, not after 🙄

tavyred

In a pretty competitive field of late that’s one of your more bizarre posts it has to be said.
Majorities, big or small have political ramifications, I know it’s your contention that a couple of big votes we’ve had recently lack the required ‘popularity’ to warrant the level of change they have caused, but to ignore them or water them down after the event in my opinion would as I’ve said before be a democratic abomination.
I accept that my view on politics may be the minority one on here, I don’t see how that means I have to ‘bow to the majority view’ of you and the other assorted leftist loons on this thread. What a strange thing to say.
If you want your world view to prevail, keep voting and hope that enough of our number start agreeing with you and vote the same way. Simple really.

DB9

Well that's it, We've finally taken back control, As of March we can get our new BLUE British Passport, This is what Brexit was all about. Now we'll be able to visit British India, The American Colonies, Australia and New Zealand, Rhodesia and many other countries that are coloured pink in the atlases. Ironically we never had to change them to purple, It was done voluntarily by the UK, Final note, The new blue passports are being made by. FRENCH company! Still taking back control?

Last edited: