• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We're not cash critical in two years time.

Copernicus

We are cash critical every day, just like any other business.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I have visions of Grecian in Guzz walking around with a sandwich board with "John 3:16" written on it.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The main Leipzig newspaper Leipziger Volkszeitung was full of praise for Ampadu Said he deserved the trust of the manager and gave a calm, assured and tireless performance. They hope he will get more chances.
Starting to think they might make a bid for Ampadu in the close season : Leipzig have got the money, although Ampadu said diplomatically that he hopes to go back to Chelsea

andrew p long

Probably wider than the Ampadu question, so maybe not totally relevant to the thread, but where's this "cash critical" phrase come from and what does it actually mean? Is it where we run out of cash, or run out of free cash to support the club above base budget? And how has 2 years been decided?

Back to Ampadu though, what a player he looked last night. My one fear is that that role, in the centre of a three man defence, is probably his best and Lampard's Chelsea don't/won't play that way. Part of me would rather he ends up getting sold though, as at least that would guarantee the payment of the sell-on clause, unlike if he becomes a mainstay at Chelsea and sees out his career there!
my understanding is that the playing budget is 500k or so in excess of what we can generate from ordinary income. This is funded mainly out of a share of the £4m or so generated from player sales in Tis’ last season. The two years is a calculation of when the money runs out based on current excess of expenditure over income.

if nothing changes then in two years time the playing budget has to be slashed by 500k ( a third). It actually bites a bit quicker because it becomes imprudent to give expensive three year contracts this summer. In recent times managers have been able to get players like Dean Moxey and Nicky Law from higher divisions on three year deals.

But cash crisis is a bit of an exaggeration for now. Something might turn up before then, such as the first 250k when Ethan makes his next three appearances for Chelsea, Randell Williams is sold in the summer or...the biggest of the lot ...Ollie Watkins makes a big money move to the Prem.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
my understanding is that the playing budget is 500k or so in excess of what we can generate from ordinary income. This is funded mainly out of a share of the £4m or so generated from player sales in Tis’ last season. The two years is a calculation of when the money runs out based on current excess of expenditure over income.

if nothing changes then in two years time the playing budget has to be slashed by 500k ( a third). It actually bites a bit quicker because it becomes imprudent to give expensive three year contracts this summer. In recent times managers have been able to get players like Dean Moxey and Nicky Law from higher divisions on three year deals.

But cash crisis is a bit of an exaggeration for now. Something might turn up before then, such as the first 250k when Ethan makes his next three appearances for Chelsea, Randell Williams is sold in the summer or...the biggest of the lot ...Ollie Watkins makes a big money move to the Prem.
Even without further unbudgeted windfalls we are IMO actually not as hard up against it as some fear.

This season actuals will be running well ahead of budget, which will push the crunch a few months further into the future even on a low case scenario. The Leasing.com cup run income is unbudgeted and attendances at SJP for league games are more than 7,000 higher than the forecast and presumably the budget. With additional food and beverage sales this will be around £100K if not more up.

If we get promoted, of course, the calculations will all have to be completely revised. You get more money from EFL, FA and Sky in L1 and attendances tend to be higher with better quality opposition. Against that the manager will want a bigger budget to sign new players and offer improved contracts to other he wishes to keep.

I'm glad I'm not the FD.

But yes, Ollie or Ampadu going for big money would be nice.

IndoMike

Even without further unbudgeted windfalls we are IMO actually not as hard up against it as some fear.

This season actuals will be running well ahead of budget, which will push the crunch a few months further into the future even on a low case scenario. The Leasing.com cup run income is unbudgeted and attendances at SJP for league games are more than 7,000 higher than the forecast and presumably the budget. With additional food and beverage sales this will be around £100K if not more up.

If we get promoted, of course, the calculations will all have to be completely revised. You get more money from EFL, FA and Sky in L1 and attendances tend to be higher with better quality opposition. Against that the manager will want a bigger budget to sign new players and offer improved contracts to other he wishes to keep.

I'm glad I'm not the FD.

But yes, Ollie or Ampadu going for big money would be nice.
I think we also got some money for Jay Stansfield and Boateng to add to the income, plus a little bit if FA Cup money.

STURTZ

Plus a pittance for our forthcoming televised match.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Plus a pittance for our forthcoming televised match.
Yeah, £8 grand after VAT is taken off. Still, better than nothing. And we will get £20K from Sky TV and something like £40K from 45% of the net at Pompey. Again less VAT.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
As an example of the pointlessness of the 'how many other ex City players went on to play Champions League ?" question: Admittedly Qualifier rather than Group Stage but almost immediately after departing the Park, Leon Braithwaite. Sadly international stardom failed to beckon. He was quick...
I see Barca have signed Braithwaite today so he'll probably get some Champions League games 😋