• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth V's Exeter City EFL Trophy SF Official Match Day Thread

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
If you get a chance, listen to the sky commentary when they score the own goal. The commentator literally says “No! No! No!” as if he’s a Pompey fan, not an impartial commentator.

pompeyman

Thought I would make the effort to come on here and say how great your team of 'youngsters' were last night. I thought at 2.1 down we had lost it. and deservedly too. TBH I think you were probably robbed, just fatigue set in last few mins. .Many of us were well impressed with the energy, team shape and the way you played for each other. Gave our first team more problems than many other teams at FP. If this team is your youngsters the you are obviously doing something right at SJP. Good luck with the league and Saturdays big game. I suspect the final at Wembley will not match up to last nights game.

Nigel E

A bit of a niche point perhaps, but the pitch was like playing on a carpet - despite the recent storms. Not a criticism of our staff as they have to work with what they've got, but maybe a slice of any future windfall could finally address this at SJP? We're so much better to watch as soon as we're on a decent surface.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
If you get a chance, listen to the sky commentary when they score the own goal. The commentator literally says “No! No! No!” as if he’s a Pompey fan, not an impartial commentator.
I heard that and for a split second I thought he’d seen a flag or something and the goal was going to be ruled out...it was enough to stop me celebrating the goal at that moment.

pompeyman

Thought I would make the effort to come on here and say how great your team of 'youngsters' were last night. I thought at 2.1 down we had lost it. and deservedly too. TBH I think you were probably robbed, just fatigue set in last few mins. .Many of us were well impressed with the energy, team shape and the way you played for each other. Gave our first team more problems than many other teams at FP. If this team is your youngsters the you are obviously doing something right at SJP. Good luck with the league and Saturdays big game. I suspect the final at Wembley will not match up to last nights game.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
A bit of a niche point perhaps, but the pitch was like playing on a carpet - despite the recent storms. Not a criticism of our staff as they have to work with what they've got, but maybe a slice of any future windfall could finally address this at SJP? We're so much better to watch as soon as we're on a decent surface.
Clive Pring was sat just in front of me last night, in shorts. Great effort. Bet he wished he could take the pitch back with him.

One other observation. Up until their first goal, we had conceded 2 goals in almost 11 hrs in this competition. Then we conceded 3 in 9 minutes. Funny old game.

Fareham Grecian

So good he praised us twice! Thanks pompeyman

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pompeyman - firstly thanks for your and all Pompey fans who have posted such positive comments about our club. Being a Fan Owned club (like you were) we rely on our Academy to produce our players and sell one or two on to stay afloat.

Sadly I have to report that current forecasts mean that our academy may have to close & we will be 'cash critical' in 2 years due to the Premiership's stranglehold over football !
Please find link here to BBC report explaining our plight (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51134903 ) plus a link to my recent on-air discussions with Robbie Savage on 5 Live 606 ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000ffrn - Listen to this from 28min 30 sec) aimed at getting a 'Critical Mass' to help keep Fan Owned Exeter City afloat to be able to give you night's like last night !

Anything you can do to publicise our plight via Pompey Social Media (or other ways) would be gratefully appreciated by fellow Grecians in the hope that football authorities wake up before it is too late ?

Here's to a possible re-match next season (if you are unlucky & we are lucky in the run in of course) but all the very best at Wembley.

UTC & PUP

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm baffled as to why Martin started up front instead of Seymour. If Seymour had started I think you would have got a better game out of Fisher. It helps to know that you have a strike who gets to where he should and knows what he should be doing in the first place. As for Richardson, can somebody take him away on an intensive left foot session. I know I bang on continuously about Williams should be on the left but that run that Richardson had in the first half is one moment where you would have killed to have had Williams there cutting back. To be honest you would have killed to have had anybody else cutting back there because they would have at least put a swinger through it. Richardson didn't even have the presence of mind to pull it back to Martin, whose hanging back would have actually proved useful for once.
CTRL + C, CTRL +V

Fareham Grecian

Sadly I have to report that current forecasts mean that our academy may have to close & we will be 'cash critical' in 2 years due to the Premiership's stranglehold over football !
With the greatest respect GiG, this is rubbish. There are no such ‘current forecasts’. The rules have been in place for 8 years, and while I think we can all agree that they are incredibly unfair, we are making a great job of surviving under them and continuing to make money from selling on young players like Ollie - from whom we have a realistic prospect of making several million more in the next couple of years.