• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth V's Exeter City EFL Trophy SF Official Match Day Thread

Steve Moran3

City have never won a cup competition at Wembley in all our history and had we got through we’d surely have been favourites. Can’t help but think that was an opportunity missed. A more experienced side - even in a few key positions would I think have managed the end of the game better. We were naive. We might go up this year - but plenty of sides around the country still celebrate winning the Leyland Daf Trophy or the various iterations at Wembley as a highlight of their history- having got this far that could have been us come April. Gutted.

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good point Steve
Gutted as it was a trip to Wembley and to me I felt it was important enough to put a stronger side out but that said the young lads were superb . What a pity a person in black with his brown envelope and 2 slappers waiting back in his hotel overshadowed the game . Can’t have little old Exeter at Wembley when Portsmouth would bring more.
Looking forward to us hopefully going up and them bottling it so we get to play them next year or even relegating them .

dontpassback

Pompey just managing to beat Exeter city’s kids,if I was Kenny jackett I wouldn’t be over celebrating

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Gutted. Just got home after a brilliant day out was ruined in the last 5 minutes. Our boys gave everything, them’s the breaks. I feel sorry for the squad who played tonight as they didn’t deserve that ending, but I just want us to win at argyle.

Avening Posse

Tonight reminded me of tisdale team selections in big games.
Would that be those big games that got us over the line for 2 successive promotions ? (I will give you Liverpool, I was mega p___d off with selection that night)

DB9

Enjoyed the game, 1st half was easily forgettable, 2nd half came to life, Probably went ahead against the run of play but Portsmouth weren't the best at that time but managed to turn it up after we scored, Could see we were tiring as we started to give the ball away in silly areas and more frustratingly when we went on a decent run. In the end we came up short but done well, Used players who don't often start, Played in front of a very decent crowd, As I was in the Pompey end I said well done and wished them well for the final and they said hope we get promoted, Nice lads around me, Disappointed yes after conceding such a late goal but onwards and upwards

Last edited:

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought it was a good game. Pompey probably deserved it. Our lads put up a great fight though. Not bothered to miss out on Wembley. Not a fan of the paranoid whiny style on here.

fred binneys head

(I will give you Liverpool, I was mega p___d off with selection that night)
#stillfuming

i8cornwall

Which team are going to Wembley and which team are not ?

Too many changes cost us tonight.
League over glorified friendly Danny!

Oldsmobile-88

A positive from last nights last gasp defeat was the showing of the young players who came through the Academy,something the club & supporters can be very proud off.

The whole campaign in this seasons FLT has included many young players & has been a great learning experience (along with the Premier League U23 Cup)

Disappointing for them not to get the kudos of what a Wembley final would have given them but they have all left their mark in a wonderful run.

Feeling upbeat despite the defeat,something that was missing after the limp short FA Cup campaign a couple of months ago.