• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Billy Hughes, one of the heroes of Sunderland's 1973 FA cup Final victory.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Many a true word etc, but I haven't played Lock since my schooldays ! Basketball became my sport of choice thereafter, along with the rest of the extremely tall barstewards and barstewardesses ! Later as a coach the tallest players in my teams were 7'-0" (Male) and 6'-7" (Female).
I wonder who lays claim to the post of "Tallest Exewebber"? M Earl (formerly a London Exile, now relocated oop north and appearing at Grimsby tomorrow) is about 9'3.

And no, I doubt I'm the shortest.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Average height for humans in UK
Men : 5ft 9 in
Women : 5ft 3.5 in

iscalad

Derek Fowldes. Yes Minister among many others

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Derek Fowldes. Yes Minister among many others
Very sad news. His pedantry in Yes (Prime) Minister was brilliant.

Basil Brush will no doubt be sad too.

Legohead

Banned
The only show I've seen Derek Fowlds on was Heartbeat as PC Blaketon. Being a Yorkshireman myself and having lived near Pickering and the NY Moors where they filmed most of it, it was one of my favourite shows. A sad loss.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Basil Brush
Even in recent years, Derek Fowlds was known as "Mr. Derek" at his local supermarket. Sad to hear of his death.

Grecian2K

Basil Brush will no doubt be sad too.
Basil is hoping to mark his sad passing with a two-gun salute.
Boom! Boom!

Rosencrantz

I was a bit too young to appreciate Yes Minister when it came out. Eventually caught up when it was repeated on BBC2 in the afternoons during the 90's and rushed out for the DVD's pronto.

I got the impression that Bernard (and Derek Fowlds) was a bit overlooked at the time (probably understandable with Nigel Hawthorne and Paul Eddington in the main roles) but I always saw them as a trio. It wouldn't have worked so well without the character and Derek's perfect performance, even when struggling to keep a straight face!

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Barry Tuckwell, Horn maestro, aged 88. He and the great Dennis Brain were the tops.