• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Chrisene

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I seem to remember the consensus being we couldn't afford the extra staffing costs that come with a cat2 academy last time this was debated.

budegrecian

Even if we invested the large sum of money (for us) to become a Cat 2 Academy I don't see how we could be any more successful in turning out fantastic young players (& young men) than we already are.
There must be Academies up & down the country of Cat 2 level & above that would kill for our success rate.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Cat 2 is a "nice to have, not a "must have".
Let's consolidate in League 1 before we get too ambitious. I'd hate for us to get promoted and then come straight back down. Negative momentum is bad news.
If we need to let's spend our money on strengthening our squad

Antony Moxey

A covered pitch is not just for the academy, it provides the benefits of all weather training facilities for all teams.
Given we now have an all weather pitch at the C&F now, it’s very unlikely that there’ll be periods when the teams won’t be able to train. Yes it’s nice to have if you’ve got the money but other than stopping you getting wet a covered pitch doesn’t offer much more than we already have, especially for the outlay. Although having said that if we did have a covered pitch I’d imagine it would be an extra all weather surface rather then covering the existing one.

Plus of course the next time a Prem club comes to **** us up the arse, being a higher category academy means they can’t just pull our pants down then run off into the sunset, they have to give us a reach around as well.

Banksy

Taking the thread slightly off course , let’s get the money in first. That’s why , in a selfish way , I hope Ollie goes now in this window , it would also allow us to plan for next season early . If he was to pick up an injury in the next few months who knows what would happen transfer wise in the summer.
But somehow I don’t feel anyone will come in big for him right now unfortunately.

Last edited:

Ash

A covered pitch is not just for the academy, it provides the benefits of all weather training facilities for all teams.
Absolutely. Even if we didn't immediately provide the extra staff required for a category 2 academy, we'd be one step closer for if/when we can provide the ongoing investment required.

Pobbop

I do think decent facilities also helps us attract slightly better players, if they're undecided. Not sure that Category 2 is quite necesary yet though. Yet if we should get a "massive" windfall, it's certainly worth consideration.

budegrecian

By contrast, Man Utd are reportedly prepared to offer £30m for Birmingham City's 16 year old Jude Bellingham.
Is he tied down on a professional contract? I thought a player had to be 17 before he could sign a professional deal.
If we got a tenth of that for Ben it would make it worthwile.

Dannyred

By contrast, Man Utd are reportedly prepared to offer £30m for Birmingham City's 16 year old Jude Bellingham.
Is he tied down on a professional contract? I thought a player had to be 17 before he could sign a professional deal.
If we got a tenth of that for Ben it would make it worthwile.
Yes I read that and there was another young kid going for big money.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Taking the thread slightly off course , let’s get the money in first. That’s why , in a selfish way , I hope Ollie goes now in this window , it would also allow us to plan for next season early . If he was to pick up an injury in the next few months who knows what would happen transfer wise in the summer.
But somehow I don’t feel anyone will come in big for him right now unfortunately.
I'd be amazed if a number of Premier League clubs haven't enquired about Ollie. Aston Villa, for instance, are desperate for a goalscorer and having signed Ollie at Brentford one would imagine Dean Smith is a big fan. The fact that Villa have now signed a Tanzanian striker, who's been plying his trade in the Belgian league, suggests to me that unless someone's prepared to pay 'stupid money' Brentford won't be letting Ollie go anywhere in this window.