• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Please can you define patriotic?
Come on Art you’re better than that.
Patriotism can be positive or negative as you well know, only unthinking leftists view it as exclusively negative. You are not unthinking.

Legohead

Banned
Corbyn failed. He needs to resign with immediate effect. And to think some people were saying he's a man of integrity. If he had any he'd walk right now.

IndoMike

I think as a generalisation, the character traits described are certainly those that I recognise. Why you have taken against what I would describe as a set of fairly benign observations on the British psyche I don't know. Describing someone as a "small c conservative" is a positive attribute I would've thought and certainly not something that is unduly negative as you imply. Understand also that a lot of your fellow countryman and women are patriotic and feel no sense of embarrassment about it.
Are you saying that you have to be a conservative with a small "c' to be a patriot?

arthur

Corbyn failed. He needs to resign with immediate effect. And to think some people were saying he's a man of integrity. If he had any he'd walk right now.
If he were a man of integrity, he'd have resigned six months ago. The data was all there and available to Labour HQ that it was Corbyn, not the party's Brexit stance, that was repelling Labour voters across the red wall. Corbyn would have known that it was he himself that was the biggest potential enabler of a Johnson victory, a victory that would be contrary to the best interests of the very people he purported to represent. So if he cared about them at all, he should have resigned. But he didn't, because he is so vain and stupid and because the likes of Milne and McCluskey wouldn't let him.

Which is why when people talk about how saintly and honest and genuine and unlike other politicians he is, I want to vomit

arthur

Come on Art you’re better than that.
Patriotism can be positive or negative as you well know, only unthinking leftists view it as exclusively negative. You are not unthinking.
Come on Tavy, flattery to avoid answering a question won't quite cut it. The reason I am asking you to define patriotism, just as I asked you to define the benefits and advantages of social conservatism, is so that we can have an honest debate about these things, rather than retreat behind cliches and tired old folk wisdom and "common sense"

Alistair20000

art seems a tad grouchy this morning.

What to do ?

IndoMike

Corbyn/Labour did much better than expected in the Corbyn v May election and afterwards Corbyn was treated in some quarters like a folk hero, feted at rock festivals 'n all.
Even shortly before this latest election there was talk about the Corbyn bounce. So it's not totally unreasonable that some thought he had a chance. But his surprisingly good result in the 2017 election was more down to the dissatisfaction with May than a solid support for Corbyn: but maybe we did not realize that at the time

tavyred

Art.
As I said to you before, those are silly questions. The definitions of those things are obvious and out there for all to see. Why do I have to on your request, explain the obvious. If you think social conservatism or patriotism is bad, then explain why and then we’ll discuss it further.

DB9

So a few hundred people protested in London last night against Johnson's win, Apparently chanting "Defy Tory Rule" and "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" The Tory per say didn't vote in the Tories on their own it was millions, He had the best slogan which worked a treat and in the end he had no opposition, Corbyn and Swinson failed, Not only failed to win but have failed the very people who needed them. As for "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" At least we won't be hearing that again!!

tavyred

Are you saying that you have to be a conservative with a small "c' to be a patriot?
No Indo, I don’t.