• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
They didn't threaten or avoid Sky News when Kay Burley empty chaired Cleverly, just complained. News channels have to show neutrality, but they do also have to report facts even handedly even if that upsets those in power. Just because Channel 4 questions them vigorously (as they do the others) should not have them being threatened politically.
What do you think C4 News were trying to say when they created two ice blocks designed to melt under the studio lights? A pertinent message about global warning perhaps?

Rosencrantz

One key difference between Channel 4 and Sky News is, of course, the public service remit. Theoretically Sky News can be biased one way or another as it is commercially owned, Channel 4 is supposed to be balanced.

EDIT: Although Sky is also bound by the UK's broadcasting regulations, which nullifies this somewhat. But then Burley's tantrum wasn't necessarily partisan.
Yes, all UK news channels are under UK broadcasting regulations which require impartial and unbiased coverage whether that is Channel 4, Sky, ITN or BBC. As for Kay Burley, the ego went beyond the any partisanship but the reaction from the Conservatives are a bit different over two similar incidents.
What do you think C4 News were trying to say when they created two ice blocks designed to melt under the studio lights? A pertinent message about global warning perhaps?
And it is up to Ofcom to decide. Not for the ruling government to threaten Channel 4 because they feel slighted. Channel 4 have been being avoided by Conservative Government figures for a while and the pettiness is maybe getting too much on both sides.

Channel 4 do have a responsibility to their viewers though to point out that Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage were invited to the debate along with the other leaders but had declined to take part. It is then up to the viewers to decide why they might have refused to appear in a debate about climate change.

tavyred

And it is up to Ofcom to decide. Not for the ruling government to threaten Channel 4 because they feel slighted. Channel 4 have been being avoided by Conservative Government figures for a while and the pettiness is maybe getting too much on both sides.

Channel 4 do have a responsibility to their viewers though to point out that Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage were invited to the debate along with the other leaders but had declined to take part. It is then up to the viewers to decide why they might have refused to appear in a debate about climate change.
No personal view?
You were quite happy to comment on Sky News and its description of the GE as the 'Brexit Election', why the reluctance to comment on the melting ice blocks?

Rosencrantz

No personal view?
You were quite happy to comment on Sky News and its description of the GE as the 'Brexit Election', why the reluctance to comment on the melting ice blocks?
As I alluded to above, the spat between Channel 4 and the Government is going too far on both sides. The ice sculptures were unnecessary having done their duty to the viewers informing them that Johnson and Farage were invited but declined, leaving viewers to draw their own conclusions. The government's sources threat of reviewing their licence is petty at best but can be seen as trying to discipline a broadcaster into not upsetting the government or else, which is pretty authoritarian and dangerous for anyone who wants their news impartial and fact based.

Would you want your Prime Minister and Government to avoid journalists who ask difficult questions about their policies? Do you not want them scrutinised too thoroughly? If they avoid such questioning, how can you be confident in their ability to perform in our best interests both home and abroad where they will have to be persuasive and tough in negotiations.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Apparently he's posted less times on that thread than Johnson tells lies in an average day.
That looks like a politician's answer Hants.

Do you have the actual figures or can you let us know how to find them as was possible on the old site please.

Alistair20000

Looks like Ali's doing a "Rees-Smug"...
I don't think so Indo.

Alistair20000

You've actually hit the nail on the head there, Hants. My posts are just reactions to comments from our illustrious Exeweb Brexshitters (sorry :spelling check) and to the countless lies, obfuscations and denials of Shifty Eyes. To be honest, it's hard to keep up and I think I'm gonna have to increase my output to do so. 😄😉
During the wee hours you seem to be reacting to your own posts a lot of the time. :ROFLMAO:

IndoMike

During the wee hours you seem to be reacting to your own posts a lot of the time. :ROFLMAO:
1. Where have I reacted to my own posts, Ali?
2. Hants' has already proven that you post far more times than I do. Over 20k posts compared to me around 15k. Should I make a big deal out of that?
3. You accuse Hants of bias because he provided you with facts about your posts??
4. I have already explained why I post a lot on on the politics' threads, but actually I don't need to explain anything at all : I'll post where I want to post - nobody else's business, right?
It's quite frankly strange that this should concern you so much, especially considering point 2 above
5. i have also said if people are bored with my posts they are free to put me on ignore - I doubt I'll lose much sleep over it.
6. It's hardly my fault that there is a 7-hour time difference : at least I'm not in the UK posting in the middle of the UK night, like some. That really is talking to yourself :)
7. I know the Toryboys would like a free ride on Exeweb to criticise their opponents, obfuscate, spin, deny, distort et al, but I'm afraid I will not facilitate that and neither will the many other posters who are bored with stooges, political robots and purveyors of alternative facts and general bs.:)

Looking forward to Election night
:D (y)

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
That looks like a politician's answer Hants.

Do you have the actual figures or can you let us know how to find them as was possible on the old site please.
Click on the avatar Ali. Not sure about individual threads. The last Exeweb couldn't do that?!?

This version of Exeweb is much better. Ask anyone using a phone. 😉

Grecian2K

This version of Exeweb is much better. Ask anyone using a phone. 😉
Or, even better, ask them face to face! :p